Chapter 1: The Injury

Today was the day Korra was going to solidify her place as the greatest player in Republic City High. Korra led her basketball team all the way to the state championship game.

Third quarter of the game, a minute before the fourth quarter. Korra stole the ball from the opposing player and had a fast break. She went up for a layup but as soon as she jumped something felt off. When she came down Korra heard a pop and it felt like her right knee exploded.

Korra was on the ground clutching her knee, it was the worst pain she had ever experienced. The team called a timeout as all the players huddled around her. Opal was the first person to Korra's side, "Korra, are you okay? What's wrong?"

"My knee." Korra barely was able to get the words out. Opal waved for the athletic trainer.

The head coach, Lin Beifong rushed over to Korra, "You okay, kid. Where does it hurt?" Korra gestured to her right knee.

The Athletic trainer was doing tests on her knee, while the rest of the players were on one knee. The gym was extremely quiet, there were at least a thousand fans and all of them didn't make a single sound.

Every time the trainer would move her knee it felt like a knife was stabbing through her knee. Lin looked at the trainer as she finished her tests. She sighed and shook her head. "Alright Korra, we're going to help you up and get you to the bench. Ready?"

Korra took a deep breath and nodded her head. "1... 2... 3..." they pulled Korra to her feet. The crowd and players started clapping for her but at this moment she didn't care.

Korra tried to put weight on her injured leg and found that it wouldn't support her at all. She limped over to the bench with Coach Lin and the trainer supporting her.

As Korra sat watching the rest of the game reality started to hit her. Korra's parents and sister wanted to take her to the hospital but she blatantly told them that she was staying until the end.

She watched as her team lost in the final minutes, it broke her heart. The other team's coach came to talk to her, "Hey Korra, I'm sorry this happened to you. You played a hell of a season and I can't wait to play you again. Keep your head held high." Korra smiled at the opposing coach.

Korra finally allowed her parents to take her to the hospital. She had to use crutches that the team provided just to get out to the car. It pissed her off so much that she couldn't even put weight on right leg.

On the car ride her parents did everything they could to take her mind off of the pain, "Sweetie, we are so proud of you. You played an amazing season and now you can focus on your senior year."

The comforting words pissed her off even more and she didn't even know why. Korra wanted to say something back but every time she tried to talk it felt like there was a lump in her throat. She just decided to look out the window and try to keep herself calm.

They got to the hospital and Korra's dad grabbed a wheelchair to help her. She felt so defeated when she lowered herself into the chair. This was the first time Korra had ever gotten injured, she had never broken a bone or tore anything.

Korra's parents got her checked in with the nurse at the front desk. She came around and put the wristband on Korra. "Wait, your Korra Waters. My family loves watching you play. I'm so sorry this happened." Korra didn't know what to say so she just smiled.

The pain in her knee was excruciating as she was waiting. Korra was doing her best not to cry out in anger and pain.

They waited ten minutes to finally get a room in the ER. Her father wheeled her into the room and helped get on the bed. Every little movement elevated her pain. The nurse started an IV and took her blood. "Your doctor will be in in a few minutes." That was a total lie, her doctor took thirty minutes to finally enter the room.

"Korra! It's been so long since I've seen you." Korra had no clue who this woman was. Senna got out of her chair, "Kya, I didn't know you moved here."

"Yeah, last year I was offered this job to be a full time ER doctor. I didn't want to leave the southern water Tribe but they offered me more money." Korra was so confused.

"I'm sorry. I will be your doctor. I don't know if you remember me but I helped treat your sister when she had appendicitis in The Southern Water Tribe." Kya explained.

"Oh." Korra said.

"I read a little bit about what happened but I want to hear from you, so I can find the best way to treat you." Kya didn't stop smiling.

"I stole the ball from the other team and I was going for a layup. When I came down I heard a pop and then extreme pain in my right knee." Korra told her. She noticed that Kya's demeanor changed when Korra said she heard a pop.

"I'll order an MRI, which should take about twenty minutes. In the meantime, what would you rate your pain on a scale of 1-10."

"I would say a ten. I've never experienced pain like this in my life."

"I'm so sorry this happened to you. I'll get the nurse to administer some pain medication to take the edge off. I'll be back when the MRI is ready." Kya lightly closed the door behind her.

Korra's mother grabbed her hand, "It will be okay, sweetie." "We'll be here with you the whole way." Her father said.

"Thanks." Korra looked at the ceiling and closed her eyes. So many thoughts were going through her head, she tried to use the meditation techniques that Tenzin had taught her but the pain wouldn't allow her to focus.

Korra opened her eyes when the nurse came in and administered the pain medicine. Ten minutes later Kya came back with a wheelchair, "Do you have any metal in or on your body?"

"No." Korra said. She just wanted to find what was wrong with her.

"Ok. We'll be back in about half an hour." Kya wheeled Korra to the radiology department.

She got her set up on the table. "I'm going to need you to be as still as possible. I know it will be uncomfortable but we need to get an accurate picture."

Korra nodded her head. "Ok, I'll be back in thirty minutes."

Korra laid on the table while the machine worked around her. It felt like she had been there for a week when the machine finally stopped. "You did good." Kya came back in with a smile. "Let's go you back to your room and I will send that off to the radiologist. It should only take him about ten minutes to read it."

"Thank you, I really appreciate you helping." Korra tried give her a genuine smile.

Kya got Korra settled back on her bed and talked to her parents about other things. Korra just drowned them out and tried to focus on her breathing. Kya finally left. Korra liked her doctor except she talk a lot. She noticed that pain in her knee turned into a throbbing ache rather than a sharp pain.

After another twenty minutes of waiting Kya came back into the room holding a chart, "I'm so sorry to tell you this, you have a Torn ACL. It will require surgery. I already got you set up with an orthopedic surgeon. He is one of the best. Your appointment will be in a week. In the meantime you will need to wear this brace to keep your knee from bending." Korra stopped listening after she heard about the ACL. She felt like she got hit with a truck.

Korra was pulled out of her thoughts when Kya started to put the brace around her leg. "I'll go get the discharge papers and then you can go. I'm sorry again, I know it not what you wanted to hear." Kya left.

"Honey, we are so sorry. We will be here every step of the way. I love you so much." Her mom hugged her. Kya came back in with the paperwork. Tonraq signed out them as Senna helped Korra with her wheelchair.

Korra used the crutches to get in the car which was very challenging because she couldn't bend her leg at all. Korra was still trying to process everything that had just happened in the last four hours. 

A/N: I thought it would make a great KorrAsami story. I'll try to update twice a week, Hope you enjoy :)