Chapter 6: Falling Deeper

Tw: Suicidal thoughts and self harm.

Over the past three weeks Asami has been aiding Korra. The two were starting to build a bond. This was the first time in Asami's whole life that she felt like she had a real friend.

Korra on the other hand was completely broken, she was so thankful for Asami but now she realized that the people she thought were her friends were nothing more than acquaintances. Kuvira completely stopped talking to Korra, Bolin and Mako would smile at her or say 'hi' then walk away. It hit her that Asami was her only friend left.

It was Sunday night, Korra was laying in bed with a horrible ache in her knee. Physical therapy had been going well for a couple weeks until an unfortunate setback forced Korra to slow down on her recovery.

The setback really took a toll on Korra's mental health. She stared up at her ceiling, only a little moonlight creeped through the window. I may never get better, this might be my life from now on. Those thoughts scared her more than anything. The depression definitely was getting worse, it took so much energy just to get out of bed in the mornings or even taking care of herself.

The darkness of Korra's room again left her alone with her broken mind. These thoughts were worse than any of the others. Maybe if I just kill myself then nobody would have to worry about me. My family wouldn't have to pay for any more doctor visits. It would make their lives so much easier and happier. Korra then thought about Asami and how she would be affected. Korra knew that she was helping Asami by just being there for her.

"I don't know what to do." Korra whispered into the darkness. She is so tired of being alive and in constant pain but she didn't want to hurt her family or Asami. This was the first time in Korra's entire life that she ever thought about suicide.

Korra needed to find something to take her mind off of the thoughts of suicide and the ache in her knee. She tried listening to music and watching TV but she soon found that it did nothing for her. She remembered hearing stories from people who were struggling with mental health issues, they would cut themselves and it helped take their mind off of their problems. Right now it was Korra's last option.

Korra did her best to slide quietly out of bed and sneak to the kitchen to get a knife. She didn't want her parents to know what she was doing. It will only put a bigger burden on them. Korra told herself.

The tan skinned girl quietly crutched to the bathroom, she closed the door and locked it. She lowered herself onto the closed toilet, the blade was pressed against her left forearm. Korra pressed hard and slid the knife horizontally across her arm. Beads of blood started to form from the cut. She repeated the act multiple times until tears were freely flowing from her eyes and the blood was running down her arm. Cutting numbed the pain in her mind.

Korra looked down at her arm, she immediately was hit with a sense of worthlessness. I'm such a failure. The demons of her mind came racing back to fill the empty space once again. The girl started contemplating about taking her own life. She wanted all the pain and sorrow to end, killing herself would do that she would be free from this awful reality. Images of her family and Asami flashed through her head, if I do this I would be forcing them to suffer. I can't do that to them.

The blood dripping onto the white tile brought Korra back to reality. She cleaned up the blood from the floor and her arm. Korra stared at her reflection in the mirror and a whole different person stared back. She closed her eyes and turned off the light then left back to the darkness of her room.

Asami...

Asami pulled into the school parking lot, and lately she has been so happy to come to school now that she has Korra as a friend. Korra understood her, Asami felt like she could be herself around Korra.