Ch. 48 - Homecoming

(Moodboard made by: @ blessedreylo on Twitter! <3)

Being home had never felt so foreign.

Even when you had to hijack a plane to get there in order to murder your ex-boyfriend, it felt more welcoming then, than it did at this moment.

The plane ride back from Italy had been a lot less celebratory than the ride had been to get there. The knights were still in good spirits, they almost always were. But there was a thick layer of tension and dread in the air. Every time that you allowed yourself to laugh at a joke or take a sip of champagne, you were reminded that this could be over soon.

If Kylo couldn't go through with this plan, everything would be over.

You tried to sleep for most of the trip and focus on the music in your headphones instead of the thoughts racing through your head. Kylo spent most of it cuddling up next to you, occasionally stealing an earpiece to listen with you.

The only time he wasn't actively touching you was when you woke up from a nap and saw him and Vicrul huddled by themselves. They were passing a phone between the two of them and discussing whatever was on the screen. It made you nervous until you saw the way that they were both laughing and smiling as they spoke. 

You wondered how he was so good at hiding his nerves.

You were sitting in the back of an inconspicuous car with Kylo now. The windows were tinted and it was far from flashy. It was the type of vehicle that would go under the radar to most people passing it on the street. You were just part of the crowd.

Kylo's hand was on your knee and he was rubbing soothing circles against you as he looked out of the window. Now that it was just the two of you, you could tell that he was just as nervous to be here as you were but he was doing his best to be strong for you and you appreciated it.

It was snowing out which was a far cry from the perfect weather that you experienced during your trip away. It was as if it symbolized the fact that you were no longer living in ignorant bliss in paradise. You were back home and you had to face all the issues you'd been pretending didn't exist.

You had to face your problems just like you had to face the cold. You weren't prepared for either.

"My driver brought me a coat. I want you to wear it." Kylo told you, glancing over at you.

You put a hand over his that was resting on your thigh now. "I'll be okay. You can use it." You assured him. You would be cold but you'd rather suffer than have Kylo deal with it.

He sighed and glanced at the man in the driver's seat before moving his head closer to yours so he could whisper. "You have to wear it and put the hood up. You're still in hiding."

Your mouth fell into an 'O' shape, realizing. "Right. Sorry."

You understood the concept of hiding. You'd done it the first time you snuck back home but it would never feel natural to you. It wasn't like you had much practice pretending to be dead so a mob boss wouldn't find you.