Chapter 3

*Chase P.O.V.*

      "I'm sorry Chase but you are not going to school," Mr. Davenport said. "But I have to go to school," I said. "It's too dangerous. You barely have control of your emotions as it is," Mr Davenport said. "Please. I have to go to school," I begged. "Yeah Big D. It just won't feel right without Chase there too," Leo said. "I'm worried about your Commando App," Mr Davenport said. "Ewwww man. Wear some underwear, dude. Charlie won't like that," Leo said. "No it's an app in his bionic chip. It amplifies his fight or flight response, but removes the flight. I call him Spike," Mr. Davenport said squeezing my shoulders. "Ohh. Charlie might like that," Leo said. "Oh shut up," I said. "Why does Leo keep mentioning Charlie," Mr. Davenport said. "Because Chase here has a huge crush on her," Bree said. "Shut up. Please let me go to school," I begged again. "We'll make sure Spike doesn't come out," Bree said. "Fine. But if I get any phone calls no more school," Mr. Davenport said.

     We arrived at the school and I looked around for Charlie. "Found her," Adam said. I looked where he was looking and saw her in a short skirted uniform. "Oh hey guys," she said catching sight of us. "Hey Charlie. Is there a pep rally today," Leo asked. "No. The girls wanted to put on a show, so here I am," I said. "Ohh a show," Bree cheered. "Not ohhh. That means it's all about them today. Sometimes I wish the coach could see the crap they pull and make someone decent captain," I said. "Aww. I'm sure you'll be above them one day," I said putting a hand on her shoulder. "Oh Charlotte! It's almost time," a preppy girl called. "Oh. Who's this cutie," she said putting a hand on my arm. "Back off Sarah," Charlie said stepping between me and the Sarah girl. "Don't forget I determine your future in dance," Sarah said causing her to back up into me. I held her hips to stabilize her and she seemed to stand taller. "You know what Sarah," Charlie said. "What? You are small and insignificant to the team. You really think anyone will miss you," Sarah said. "How about instead of your little show, we have a dance battle? See who really is better. You or me," Charlie said. "Oh it's on. And if you loose your off the team," Sarah said before storming off.

   "Oh my god. What did I just do," she said freaking out turning around. "Uhh you just stood up to the team captain," Leo said. "That brat is in charge of the dance team," Bree asked. "Yeah and I basically insulted her," she said panicked. "Hey. You'll be fine. Just showed everyone what you got," I said. "But what if it's not good enough. I'll be off the team and my dance career is ruined," she said. "Hey. You'll do great. Just go out there and do what you love," Leo said. We walked to the gym and the entire school was gathered.

    "Okay. Here I go to humiliate myself," she said walking to the center of the gym floor. I noticed Leo sneak off and I decided to follow him. "What are you doing," I asked scaring him. "Helping Charlie. If there's one thing I know about my best friend, it's that she loves to dance to mixes. Especially oldies," Leo said. "Hello fellow students. We have a little surprise for you this morning. Instead of our usual routine, Charlotte Davidson has challenged me to a dance off," Sarah announced. "How do these dance battles usually work," I asked Leo. "Well it depends. Sometimes they'll go back and forth and other times one will go through a whole routine then it will be the other person's turn," Leo explained. "For this battle we will go back and forth, and you will decide the winner," Sarah said. "You ready to loose shrimp," Sarah said off the mic.

    The contest began and it started out with current music with Sarah. Then it was Charlie's turn, the music scratched like a broken record and she looked over and smiled at us. "What's going on," an older lady asked. "A dance battle," I said. "Between my girls. Turn that music back on," she said. "Just watch Coach Jackie," Leo said plugging in her phone. "What are you doing," The coach asked. "Allowing my best friend to shine," he said pressing play. Suddenly an oldies mix began to play and she began to dance like no one could stop her. "What? But how? I haven't taught my girls to dance to non modern music," The coach said. "It's a proven fact that people dance the best to what they enjoy the most," Leo said. It was Sarah and her crew's turn to dance again and they were struggling with it. The crowd began to boo them until Charlie backed them up to dance more calming the crowd. "And she has a way with the crowd," the coach commented.

    The music stopped and Leo went out to the floor. "How about that. If you think Sarah won cheer real loud for me," Leo said. Hardly anyone cheered and I thought it was kinda funny. "Okay. Tough crowd. How about Charlie," he said. Then the crowd went nuts. "Wow. Okay Charlie. You won," Leo said. Sarah marched over to her and I used my super hearing to listen in. "I guess you can stay on the team," she said. "You know what, no," Charlie said. "Excuse me," Sarah said. "This battle has opened my eyes," Charlie said. "And what did it show you," Sarah asked sassily. "I don't need to be on some monarch dance team to have a future in dance. So consider this as my resignation. I quit this team, I don't need you. And you are not going to walk all over me any longer," Charlie said. "Ugh. Whatever. Let's go girls," Sarah said. "Way to go Charlie," Leo congratulated.