Chapter 4

*Charlie P.O.V.*

    A few more days passed and the school dance was coming up. "I can't believe it. It's our first school dance and we don't even have dates," Adam complained. "Watch and learn," Leo bragged. He went to ask his long time crush to the dance and crashed and burned. "What should I write," Adam asked. Him and Chase continued to pick on him. "My dear Leo. You do not know women," I said patting his shoulder. "You want real notes, start writing. Depending on the girl, depends on your approach. Some girls want a strong guy, some want a sweet guy, some want an indifferent guy. Take me for example, how would you approach me," I said. "Oh oh. Uh sweet," Adam said. "No strong," Chase said. "That was a trick question," Leo said. "Correct, Leo," I said. "I like my guys strong, sweet, and honest," I said. "Honest wasn't one of your points," Chase said. "That's because I'm not like most girls," I said. "Guys I got a major problem. I really like that boy over there, and I think he likes me too," Bree said joining us. "Okay so what's the problem," I asked. "He hasn't asked me to the dance," she said.

    "Relax I'm sure if he does like you, he will ask you soon enough," I said before walking off. I headed to history class and soon Leo joined me. "So Bree freaked," he said sitting next to me. "How so," I asked. "Well he came over to ask her to the dance not long after you left. And she took off fast," Leo said. "She panicked. She must really like him then," I said. "And don't think I didn't notice the hints you gave," Leo said. "What are you going on about," I asked looking at him. "Your what a girl likes hints, while looking at Chase," he said wiggling his eyebrows. "I-I was not looking a Chase," I stuttered. "Yes you were. You stutter when you lie. You are coming out of your denial," Leo said. "I'm not in denial," I said. "Okay fine. By the way I overheard Chase say that he was going to ask a girl to the dance," Leo said. "And why would I care," I asked turning to him.

     "Oh come on. Just admit you like him," Leo said. "I can't," I began. "Aha," Leo said. "I can't because I don't know how I feel. What I do know Leo is that I don't want another Jack situation," I said. "Jack moved away Charlie, you couldn't control that. But as far as I can tell Chase, Bree, and Adam are not going anywhere anytime soon," Leo said. "You promise that it won't end like it did with Jack," I asked. "I can't promise it won't end like it did with Jack, but I can promise that Chase would never purposely hurt you like Jack did," Leo said. "And how do you know that," I asked teary eyed. "Because of the way he looks at you," Leo said.

After School

    When I arrived at the Davenport's house I found the boys arguing over crush. Before they noticed me I decided to leave and go home. When I got home the phone began to ring. "Hello," I answered. "Hey I thought you were coming over today," Leo said. "You lied to me Leo. You told me it wasn't going to be like with Jack," I said. "What are you talking about," he asked. "Oh cut the crap. I came over and I overheard the three of you arguing about YOUR crush," I said. "You heard that," he asked. "Yes. We're supposed to be best friends, best friends don't lie to eachother," I said. "Charlie," Chase said. "Chase," I said. "You've been crying. Dry your tears and come over, I'll explain everything," he said before hanging up.

     Against my better judgement I went back over to the Davenport house. "Charlie. Leo's up in his room," Tasha answered the door. "Actually I'm here to see Chase," I said stepping into the house. "Oh. He's in the lab," she said. "Thank you," I said before walking to the elevator. I walked in and rode it down and when the doors reopened, it was quiet. "Chase," I called. "In here," he called. I walked in to find him messing with the computer. "You have five minutes to explain," I said. "Ok," he said still messing with the computer. "Really Chase. I came here against my better judgement and you decide to mess with a computer rather than explain," I said. "I was just finishing something up," he said before leaving it alone. "Five minutes go," I said. "I want to go to the dance with you, I really do. And I was going to ask you but Danielle asked me first. And I can't just not show up," he said. "So now you're saying that you wouldn't be going to the dance at all," I asked. "I have to go with her, but maybe something will happen and I can leave with you. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm hoping I'll see you there," he said. "You were really going to ask me," I asked. "Yes I was going to ask you right after I talked to Danielle for Leo," he said. "I guess I'll see you there then," I said before walking away.