Chapter 29 - Breaking Free (Draft)

Naamah, Semangelof and the angel had been traveling for a week now. Hardly any words  were spoken during their march through the northern fiefdoms. They stayed mainly in the forests or off the roads and never entered a village or city. During the nights when the angel left to guard the group the demon moved closer to their male companion a few times, trying to talk to him. She wanted to know more about this seed inside her owner but Semangelof always stonewalled the questions by letting her know that he didn't know much about it himself. Angels are not meant to love. In the era when they had, they went to earth and created the nephilim. The wrath of The One was immediate. The flood killed almost all of those forbidden children and the angels who had followed their desires were cast into the land of the demons.

So it is yet another night and once again Naamah moves closer to Semangelof. Blue shimmering light can be seen at the horizon. They must be very far north by now.

"We are getting close to our destination." Naamah says with a gentle tone.

"Destination? Or destiny?" The man next to her whispers while stretching his hands out  to warm them at the fire.

The demon looks at Semangelof,slightly startled.

"What do you mean?" She asks.

"Don't you wonder what will happen as soon as we enter that realm? Don't you wonder what your owner will do there? We are going to enter the land of the dead..."

"No! You are not going to do so." The angel cuts Semangelof short. She stands slightly behind them, having returned from her patrol.

"What do you mean?!" He exclaims and jumps to his feet, facing the woman angrily.

"I mean that this is our last evening together. The rest of the journey I will do alone."

"This is unacceptable!" The man replies. "I did not come this far to have you carry on by yourself!"

Naamah looks back and forth between them. The stars in the sky frame the shape of the angel in front of her. Her owner, her Mistress. Her heart and soul.

"This is not negotiable. You will remain here and you will not follow. The rest of the journey is mine and mine alone." The angel crosses her arms in front of her to emphasize the firmness of her position.

"So what do you expect us to do? Stay here and wait for a return that will never happen?"

"W... what do you mean?" Naamah blurts out at Semangelof's comment.

The man turns to the kneeling slave next to him and sighs softly.

"She is leaving to find Metatron and to find her lover. It is well known that no one returns from the land of the dead. She is not going there to free and bring back Myriel but instead to die and stay with her."

Naamah gasps as she hears those words. Her head darts around and she stares in horror at the woman in front of her. She hardly can believe what she just heard.

"Is.. is this true?!" Is all she is able to let slip through her lips. The angels looks down on the beast kneeling in the soft grass. "Why did you want us to come along all this way?"

"She did not want us to come along but after she could not stop me she allowed you to come along as well, so I shall take care of you when the time comes for you to understand that she will not return."

The demon is unable to believe those words. Her body starts to tremble and tears begin to well in her eyes. "Is... Is he right?"

Her owner simply turns her back on them, then speaks without turning around. "There is not much more to say. I will depart tomorrow morning."