Deception

After leaving Daniel's house, the angel went directly to the mayor, who opened the door wearing his relatively luxurious clothes. Not what Semangelof would expect a noble to wear but most certainly better than the rags he had seen on the servants and the simple linen dresses of the maidens in the castle. He informed the mayor of what happened and told him to send guards to the house so they could retrieve the body and prepare him for his burial. The man agreed and suggested that he will join him in the castle as soon as possible to accompany him in his task to speak with Lady Myriel and find the person responsible for the crime.

The angel today rode the road that connected the castle and the village once more. He was not looking forward to the upcoming conversation and reflecting on the conflicts he had with the lady the last couple of days this one was most certainly not going to be better or easier. As he passed the main gate and saw the look on the faces of the guards he had a feeling that something has happened already. He arrived in the main court and the light of multiple torches illuminated both the area and his face. A group of men in heavy armor stood on the stairs to the main building arguing. Semangelof instantly recognized their armor and the symbols on them. He guided his horse toward the handful of other horses by the end of the stairs and leaped off the back of the animal. A servant came and bowed to him asking if he shall take the reins. The angel nodded and handed the long leathery straps over to the young man then turned toward the visitors. His heavy boots on the white marble of the stairs announced his approach. The men at first did not notice him, but then stopped their discussion and turned toward him. Semangelof sighed softly to himself. His worries had come true as he sees the face of the leader of the small group. He wears a long, sheathed sword at his side and the moon mirrored in the polished silver armor as well as the flames of the torches. His warm brown eyes stood in contrast to his pale skin and the long bright red hair which, like flames, licked against the heavy metal protecting his body. His face showed no age but instead gave the impression of a rather young man. It was an effect Semangelof was not falling for. He knew very well who that person was and, if he was asked to describe their age, youth would be the last word to come to his mind.

"It is nice to see you again Michael." The angel said with a serious voice and bowed slightly. "I did not expect someone of your station to visit this small fiefdom, are you passing through on your way to the Wastelands?"

The other man smiled and shook his head. He was tall and well shaped. Even for an angel.

"We both know why I am here, do we not Semangelof? Where is that woman?" He asked, and his voice sounded cold and emotionless. He always seemed to get straight to the point.

"Lady Myriel? She should be inside but join me, please. I am on my way to her myself to report of the latest..." He hesitated and thinks about a better wording to avoid more attention. "... of the latest activities in the village."

"I am not talking about the landlord. I am looking for that female angel that keeps annoying us for far too long already. Bringing a demon into the fiefdom here was the last nail in her coffin. I will not allow her any longer to blemish the reputation of our ranks by her actions."

Semangelof rested his hand on the grip of his sword and the other hand on his hip. He knew Michael and he had heard much of him and his witch-hunt-like activities in the past. He was one of those angels who would deny mankind the rights that have been given to them in the past. But even more, he disliked when women held those rights and power.

"Is it the actions of her you feel bothered by or is it her gender?" He asked the man in front of him with a very clear challenging tone in his voice.

"Watch your mouth Semangelof." The other snarled at him, instantly picking up the challenge. "If you try to hide or help her then I will come down on you as well!"