Destroyer Of Hope

The angel came to a halt. She was walking for a while through the forest and toward her home now. She stopped more and more frequently for longer and longer times. She even sat down at the lake to stare at its surface for a few hours. No matter what she did, she saw no one but the feeling of being watched did not disappear. Her thoughts were with the demon. So badly the angel struggled with herself. Not if she should keep or banish the demon but if she could allow her to affect her like she did earlier this day. The angel did not want to admit it. Neither to herself nor to anyone else but the darkling touched something inside her the first time she had seen her. The woman took a deep breath and her hand slowly moved toward the handle of her sword. This feeling of being watched would not leave until she would find out what was happening around her. Her long white hair was violently grasped by the sudden summer breeze and painted bright lines into the red sky. The sun had gone down a moment ago but still, there was enough light crawling over the horizon and from the nearby village to see shades in the twilight. She turned without haste and placed the backpack with the goods she has bought at the market on the ground. Her feet separate and sought for a well-grounded stance as she prepared for combat.

"Finally! I have been looking for you the whole day." Ashanta stepped out of the shadows and breathed heavily like she had been running for a while.

"Oh, my goodness. You should know by now that it is a bad idea to startle me like this." The angel released the handle of the sword and relaxed again.

"I have been at your house earlier but must have missed you. Then I met Semangelof. What he told me adds even up to the reason I wanted to talk to you." She looked worried. Sweat ran down her cheeks and forehead. She really has run the whole way from the village.

"What do you mean, Ashanta?" The angel arched an eyebrow at her as she tilted her head.

"The people in the village. They are not happy about the fact you brought a demon here and you know that they have issues with you enough already. Semangelof had a conversation with Lady Myriel. She wants the demon dead and would not mind you going down with her." She sighed. "Dear. You know I am your friend but this demon is more trouble than benefit. You have to get rid of her."

Ashanta stepped closer to the angel and raised her hand to aim for a gentle touch.

"I will not let her go and certainly I will not harm her." The angel replied and caused signs of anger on the other woman's face with those words. "I am responsible for Naamah and I am not interested in her death."

"You are stupid! It is a demon! What do you want with a bloody demon?! You were in the Wastelands to fight them until a few weeks ago. Since when do you feel pity for a demon? She would betray you the moment she gets the chance. Wake up!"

The angel shook her head. "No. Something is different with her. She has not come to betray me or bring harm. I can see it in her eyes. She is a good person."

"A good person?! It is a damn demon! Angel, wake up please!" Ashanta moved forward and grabbed the shoulders of the white-haired woman then shook her. "A demon!" She sighed deeply. "Do you remember the last time you said that you saw kindness and truth in someone's eyes?"

The angel growled at her and broke free from the grip. "Don't go there." She replied.

"Look at me. Do you remember the last time you said you trusted someone?" She grabbed the woman's arm once more and tried to turn the angel to face her.

"Yes, I do." The celestial being silently admitted and lowered her head. It was a long time ago. Almost feeling like a lifetime. It was during the winter days and she was standing at the gates of the castle. Ashanta just came up the hill while she was leaving the fortified walls. They have been friends only for a short time those days but the angel enjoyed her presence.

"Who has it been?" Ashanta asked. "Tell me! Who?!"

The angel resisted the thought for a moment but then answered her. "Myriel." Her friend had warned her that day in the winter about Myriel. She warned her about the fact that she strived for power and power only. That she would betray her the first moment she would get the chance to do so but the angel did not want to believe her. Half a year later she found Myriel kissing the landlord and admitting that she was playing her since the beginning.

"It almost destroyed me." The angel added softly and looked down. The air suddenly was heavy in sadness and despair. It left behind the broken being she was now. One who did not believe in love anymore. From that day on she felt only disgust toward those who were holding hands and pretended to be happy in their everlasting love only to see them break each other's heart just a bit later.

"Do not make the same mistake again, dear." Ashanta worried and warned her. "She is but a demon and will tell you whatever you wish to hear until she gets a chance to stab you in the back."

"But I will not let her go." She replied in defiance and raised her head again. There was no doubt in her eyes or gestures anymore. She made a decision and would stand her ground. "I promised to guard her."

"She is a demon!" Ashanta almost yelled at the angel. "She does not need a guard. She needs a pyre to burn her down and send her back to Abaddon. Oh my god wake up please! Lady Myriel is just looking for a reason to crush you and now you give her all she needs. Do you want to be banished or do you even want to die?!" The woman turned almost furious and seemed not willing to accept nor to understand the angel.

"I gave my word and I am not the least afraid of death." The angel replied and picked up the backpack from the ground.

"Dear, please. If you do not want to listen to me then listen to Semangelof at least. He begs you to send the demon away else he has to decide between you or his position as Sentinel. You want to destroy a friendship with this demon?" Ashanta's blond hair was swirling in the air as she could not believe that this woman was so stubborn. "What do you want me to tell him? What is your final decision?"

"You already heard my decision." The angel replied and swung the backpack over her shoulder. "It is not going to change. I gave my word." And with this, she moved on and left her furious friend behind.

"You are a fool! Do you hear me?! You are a fool!" Ashanta was yelling at her now then turned toward the village. She could not believe that this creature was so stubborn and risking everything for a red skinned beast in chains.

The angel closed her eyes for a brief moment then continued her walk home. It would not take much longer anymore till she would be at home. Maybe 30 more minutes. She could already see the shine of the candles coming from the house. She smiled but then stopped as her heart skipped a beat. She dropped the bundle she had swung over her shoulder and while in heavy armor she started to run a few steps only to unfold her wings to close the distance even faster.

"Nooo!" She screamed as she realizes that her eyes had not betrayed her. It was not candles but the house which was in bright flames and casting ghastly long shadows over the wide open around it. At the side of the building, a large cross was on fire and screams from the construct filled the silence of the night until even they died away.