The Black Heart

The angel and Myriel tossed and turned, trying to get some sleep after all the excitement, but it seemed impossible. After some more tears were shed by the darkling, this time mostly out of deepest happiness, both returned to Myriel and they laid down. Virgo laid slightly at their side and Naamah to their feet. Culsu decided to take a bit more distance but remained still in reach in case of problems, a very real issue given where they decided to rest.

It did not take long until most of them fell asleep. Only Myriel and her lover were unable to find rest. Not because of the worries so much but mostly because of their feelings and their closeness. So many emotions had piled up in those years and now they demanded release. Both of them felt taut and straining, ready to explode, and even though they were not alone at the fireplace they could not hold back for much longer. Myriel's fingertips gently moved over the angel's forehead and brushed a few strands of that bright white hair out of her lovers face while the other woman twitched by the touch. Like lightning, it kept striking her when being touched this way by the person she thought lost for so long. Her own hands began to shake and under the blanket, she rested her palm on the curves of her partner.

"I... I..." The angel whispered but did not know exactly what to say, yet, it helped her to get rid of the tension she felt inside.

Myriel silenced her with a kiss realizing the angel's insecurity about the moment. Her tongue instantly parted her lover's lips and darted deep into her mouth. The reaction of the angel was prompt and strong. Her arms wrapped around the delicate body of the landlord to press her close to herself then rolled her on the back to stare into her wonderful green eyes. She separated her lips from the human ones but she could not stop looking into her dark pools, rimmed with emerald. Something was happening inside her and her eyes closed to focus. Like a loud crack she heard the shell around her heart crack open and what had grown, over the years, so black and cold suddenly began to radiate again in intense light. First only through the broken part of the shell then the light grew stronger and more intense until there was not enough power anymore to keep the dark cocoon together and hiding the strength that has laid hidden there for such a long time. Silence engulfed the clearing and even the soft sounds of the wood eaten by the fire ceased into nothingness. The flames began to slow down, moving dreamlike, and finally came to a halt. The grass stood still and so did the tops of the trees which did move gently in the flow of the wind. The world stopped turning and only the moment existed. The angel took a slow, deep breath and as she exhaled the sounds and movements return but there was a strong feeling of peace and happiness flooding the whole place. The angel opened her eyes to look down at her lover once more. Her own crystal blue eyes hungered for the raven hair of the woman who was laying in the grass. Her alabaster skin. Her ruby lips. Her touch and her scent. Leaning down she kissed her deeply and the feeling that had flooded the area a moment ago began to intensify, clearly radiating from the angel's position so strongly that Culsu and Naamah woke up from the flow of energy. The gatekeeper stared at the two women at first then looked over to Naamah, who backed off from the two and toward the others, as she had decided for a place further away. Ending up next to her she reached out for her arm and clung close to Culsu.

"What.. what is going on?" The silver haired woman asked and reached for her dagger in a kind of reflex.

The demon leaned against the gatekeeper and a broad smile across her face showed her deep happiness.

"She is returning home." She replied.

"What do you mean?"

"The angel. Remember she once has been a guardian until she decided to take lives instead of protecting them?"

Culsu nodded and began to understand. "You think she is changing back?"

Naamah nodded wildly, still beaming. "This is what I now think my mission really has been about. To bring her back."

They both watched the two women kiss each other with deep passion. They seemed to ignore that they are not alone or perhaps they simply did not care. Too long has been the time since they were able to share such happiness, several lifetimes of pain in every passing year. The angel's hands brushed over Myriel's cheeks. Their lips pressed firmly onto each other while the human began to unbuckle the heavy armor of her lover. A task not easy to accomplish in such a pose and state of mind. Her lover slowly and carefully opened the leather armor of the landlord and brushed it over her shoulders, then down her arms.

Culsu and Naamah stared at them in disbelieve, then at each other for a second. Naamah giggled softly trying to avoid disturbing them.

"The forest is nice and dark tonight isn't it?" The gatekeeper asked in a more than obvious way that she was not very comfortable with the situation of being a spectator of such a scene. She turned her back to the two lovers and stared into the dark behind the trees.

The darkling grinned and followed her example but can not abstain from giving a comment. "Yes yes... Very.. Uhm.. Dark tonight." She chuckled lightly and leaned against Culsu looking into her eyes. "Are you touched in a bad way by their behavior?"

"What the?! Are you implying I am ashamed or even frigid?!"

Naamah couldn't hold back another giggle on that reply. "I realized you feel uncomfortable with their actions."

"Not their actions but I think the timing is bad. They should be in private. Not... well.. with spectators." The gatekeeper sounded almost prim.

"Does this mean you never participated in the famous orgies of Pandemonium?!" The demon tilted her head and the chain between her horns swung slightly to the side. She appeared to be seriously wondering about this revelation if it was true.

"I think such things should be private and remain private. I am not uncomfortable with enjoying such pleasures but I object to displaying it in public." Culsu replied.

"By those things you mean sex don't you? Following your deepest desires and instincts. This animalistic behavior and feelings usually restrained and leashed. When you roll around in the bed and have wild and intense fornication. Maybe talking dirty to each other and confess your deepest fantasies. Is this what you talk about?" Naamah grinned even more and chose those words on purpose to tease the woman next to her who looked so pure and untouched in her white dress.

The gatekeeper growled at Naamah. "Keep your lips sealed and your words to yourself, beast."

Naamah chuckled then nodded. "As you wish M'lady." She replied and played with the crude collar around her neck but could not abstain from giving Culsu a seductive look full of hunger and desire.

Her opposite was about to reply to that look verbally but then heard very obvious sounds of lust behind her coming from the two women which made her cheeks flush in a deep red.

"Have you ever had such kind of..." Naamah tried to find a good wording there. "... such kind of intense feelings."

Culsu turned her head to the darkling and even though her long silver hair covered her face partially she was unable to hide the redness on her cheeks completely. At first she wants to protest then she lowered her head and offered a soft shake. "No. I never had the luck to find the right person and I am not looking to go for it just for the sake of having it done."

The corners of demons mouth curled into another smile. The hand of her unwounded arm reached for Culsus cheek and brushed it softly. She felt a deep desire to seduce this woman now even more that she knew of her purity but something kept her from going forward. Nevertheless, she sought to show her sympathy.

"One day there will be the right person." Naamah said and her voice was shaking slightly. First because of the sounds she heard behind herself and second because of her own desire. After all, she was one of the demons who existed for sex and passion and to celebrate it. In this case though she decided against the fact of proceeding and furthermore she would need the permission of her owner to do so as well. Asking her of such permission right now would be no good idea at all. The darkling smirked to herself on the thought of parading into this special moment of her mistress and Lady Myriel only to ask for permission to seduce the gatekeeper. She was sure she either would be struck by a lightning bolt instantly due to the wrath of her owner or would be grabbed to join them. She personally would prefer the latter version but the chance this would happen might be very low and not worth the risk.

Culsu bobbed her head in a nodding agreement. "There will be. I am sure." She sighed softly. "Would you mind to stay with me during the rest of the night while we sleep? I suddenly feel very lonely."

The darkling pushed herself out of her more lustful inner fantasies and looked at the gatekeeper with a happy smile. "I would be very honored." She moved closer and laid next to the other woman into the grass. The long silver hair wrapped around the demon along with the arms as Culsu joined her. For a few more moments they listened to the sounds of pleasure and deep joy behind them. Then they finally fell asleep.

After a few more hours of rest, the gatekeeper woke up. Her eyes fell on Naamah at first then she turned to realize that there was no sound of the two others anymore. She saw them sleeping near the fire and their bodies entwined. Then she looked once more at the leather armor of the landlord. She could not get rid of the odd feeling this thing is giving her and finally she got the puzzle together. She jumped to her feet ignoring the drowsy darkling she woke by her action. She almost ran over to the other two and grabbed the armor staring at it. The angel, alarmed, reached for her sword but released the grip seeing that it was Culsu who was towering over them. She poked Myriel gently to wake her up who grumbled a moment then opened her eyes glaring at the gatekeeper.

"What the...." She tried to protest for the early wake but Culsu cut her short. "Where did you get this armor?" She asked with haste and a tone in her voice that reflected her worry. Myriel looked at the leather and wondered.

"It has been in our armory. I picked it because it was one of the few fitting me. Why do you ask?" She felt puzzled.

"You are a traitor!" The gatekeeper spit out.

Myriel jumped up instantly. "What do you say?!" She moved in front of Culsu to look into her eyes.

"This armor. Something was bothering me all this time but I did not understand what it was at first. It has just struck me."

"What are you talking about?" Myriel placed her hands in her hips. She felt strongly offended. A moment ago all was perfect in her world, and now wild accusations and attacks?  "Answer me!"

"The ornaments on your armor. I have seen them before."

Myriel once again looked over the leather and traced the skillful carved ornaments with her fingertips. In the meantime the angel rose and watched the conflict with an alarmed expression on her face. She began slowly to put her own armor back on.  "What is so distinguishing about those ornaments?" She asked Culsu.

"The armor I have seen these on before was worn by a demon in Pandemonium." Culsu replied, obviously worried. She started to walk over to the angel trying to pass Myriel but the landlord grabbed her arm to make her stay.

"And this is surprising you? I told you that I was forced to do what I did. They kept my child. This armor. These ornaments should prove my words instead of labeling me a traitor."

The other woman turned around and her wide white dress swirled in the motion. She looked very tense and uneasy.

"You do not understand. The armor was worn by the person who made me bring Lilith to Gabriel. If the armor you are wearing is one of the traitors then he may be one of them. And..."

"And this means that my lovers' mother might be in danger and you as well as her were betrayed." Myriel caught the train of thoughts of the gatekeeper who replied with a fast nod.

"I have to leave and warn Lilith! This may have all been a trap!"

Myriel released the arm of the other woman but the moment they try to deal with the fact the sound of horses heading their direction echoed through the still dark forest. Myriel took her armor and with haste, she slipped into the leather attaching the buckles as fast as she could.

"I need to depart instantly!" Culsu commented. The angel glared at the gatekeeper. "Now?!" She asked with a tone of disbelieve.

"Yes! She has to leave. Your mother might be in danger Mistress." Naamah, who joined them in the meanwhile, answered before the other woman was able to do so.

Vague images of horses began to form at the border of the glade. The mist of the morning began to rose and only slowly allowed to reveal it's secrets and surprises. From the silhouettes, a well known shape appeared.

"Michael!" Myriel gasped.

The white haired woman pushed herself in front of all those who sat or stood around the fireplace. One hand reached for her katana while her other hand forced Myriel to step back. She turned her head and looked at Culsu. "Take them with you. All of them!"

The gatekeeper nodded and tried to walk over to Virgo to pick him up but her path is cut short by one of the riders who moved between her and the boy.

"I am not leaving you behind!" Myriel exclaimed. "If you stay then I will stay as well!"

"You will leave with them and take care of Virgo!" The angel commanded.

"No one here will leave." Michael yelled with a cold voice and slipped off his horse with a swing of his leg. His hand rested on the grip of his sword. "You all hereby are accused of heresy and collaboration with demons. The sentence for this crime is well known and always the same. Death by the sword."

"Get them out here Culsu!" The angel commanded once more and turned her head toward the gatekeeper. This time there was no doubt anymore that she was preparing for a straight confrontation and was willing to sacrifice herself to save the rest of them.