The Gatekeeper

Days and nights in Pandemonium seem to be the same for Culsu. She is used to traveling, a lot, and remaining in one spot for any time longer than a few hours makes her feel uncomfortable. There is no real change of lighting in the city. Being surrounded by the mountains and being embedded in a deep crater of a volcano there is not much sunlight reaching the lower areas of the streets. Only the higher buildings catch the beams of the golden orb and those are mainly reserved for the nobles and rich. The warmth of the molten stone far below the walkways still reaches the surface though and keeps the city at a regular level of heat. No matter if it is day or night, it always feels like a warm summer day. The streets are lit by small lanterns of cold magical blue fire tinting the areas with unnatural shine.

Culsu was walking through the narrow streets as well as the large and pompous ones for the last few days, restless and waiting to hear from the man she met in the temple. She can not get him out of her mind nor can she deny how he made her feel. His strong presence made her heart race and she had to admit to herself that her body began to react on its own. The few words they exchanged, the look in his eyes, the electrifying feeling she had as he touched her with his big strong hand. She can not deny that she wants to be with him. In his chambers. In his bed.

She shakes her head, trying to get rid of that train of thought as she enters the temple once more. A messenger had arrived a few hours ago to let her know that Narash wanted to meet her. There seems to be news and her service is requested. Slowly she strides through the huge hall and travels between the marble pillars toward the brazier near the altar. He is already standing there waiting. Her head turns and her eyes scan the surrounding. Nothing changed. Still the people in dark robes move in the shadows and still the same statues stand at their places. Did she truly expect them to move over the night or days? She turns back toward him and her steps become slower. This time he wears a heavy black leather armor and a helmet hangs at his belt right next to his heavy mace. The armor shows fine lines and engravings of ornaments all over the leather. She closes her eyes for a few seconds then increases her speed again.

"I got your message." She begins as she comes to a halt in front of him. Instantly his aura blurs her consciousness again. Why is it so hard for her to think clearly in his presence? She wants to reach out and touch him. Even through the thick armor she can smell his scent. His long black hair falls down his back. This time he wears it open and does not have a ponytail like the last time but there are braids left and right of his head with black leather bands woven into them holding silver coins or tiny trinkets. Even at this distance, it is hard to make out.

He turns to face her. "Ah, there you are Culsu. Good, you could make it. We do not have much time. My superior needs you to use your skills to make a special delivery." He raises his hand toward the shadows at his right and gestures a signal to approach. A person in black robes steps out of the darkness. Culsu can tell by the shape that it clearly must be a woman. Her hands are hidden in the long sleeves of the black robe and her face is covered by the shade of the wide hood.

"I need to talk to you first," Culsu says seeing the robed figurine getting closer. Narash gestures to halt and the woman stops half way.

"What is it?" He asks and looks concerned at Culsu.

Her long curly silver hair lays gently on her shoulders. The pendant of the snake hangs shortly at her belt. She points to one of the statues. "Why does this statue show your face but says it is Asmodai it displays?"

He chuckles at her. "I see you looked around."

She nods at him. "You did not answer my question." She replies and it is obvious that she feels deceived. Did he lie to her as he told her his name?

He shakes his head. "I spoke the truth. Take it or leave it, woman." He says, appearing to read the deeper question from her mind. He gestures once more for the robed woman to approach which she does after realizing the motion of his hand.

"I do not like to be toyed with." Culsu snaps at him.

He turns his head back to her. "We all are toys. Someone always plays with us. Willingly or not." He replies.

"I am not..." She begins but he cuts her short. "You are not what? A pawn?" He chuckles. "Of course you are."

She growls and steps closer to him. She wants to hit him in the face but she can't. Again, his intoxicating scent and his aura stop her. The robed woman comes to a halt next to Narash but remains silent.

"Hit me if it makes you feel better, but it will not change the fact." He speaks to Culsu. "We all have our roles to play. And yours is to serve."

She glares at him. "I am no servant. No slave. To no one!" She growls at him. Her hand raises and her anger deep inside almost overcomes his strong influence on her but another time she holds back.

"We will see." He says and looks at her hand obviously well aware of his impact on her emotional state.

"Indeed we..." And yet again he cuts her short. "Are you done now? Can we proceed and go on with your mission?" He is losing patience with her.

Culsu is tempted to simply turn and leave him and his insolence behind but her reputation is at stake. She never bailed out of a contract before and she is not going to do so just because of this man and, by this, blemish her honor.

"We shall." She finally replies after a moment and nods to him.

"Good." He points to the robed person next to him. "This woman needs to be transported to the hills of Igashotar."

"Igashotar? That is deep in the eastern Wastelands." Culsu points out.

"I know quite well where it is. Would this be a problem for you? Do I need someone else to do your work?" He asks her and his voice reflects his annoyance.

She grumbles then shakes her head. "There is no problem." She replies.

He nods in reply. "Very well. You will stay with her till she wishes to return. It may take an hour or a week. Whatever is necessary for her to accomplish her mission and you are able to provide I want you to do."

"I will bring her there and return her home?" Culsu asks. Her eyes sparkle reflecting the fire of the brazier behind the man.

He turns and moves a few steps away from them then he stops for a moment. "I think you understood what I said." He states, then continues his walk. "Whatever is necessary for her to accomplish her mission and you are able to provide I want you to do." She wants to snap at him, or even come after him but reconsiders and looks at the woman in front of her. Her face is barely visible. She is slightly shorter than her and walking barefoot. She could hear the soft padding sound of her soles on the cold marble floor as she approached earlier.

"What is your name?" She asks her but the robed woman shakes her head in front of her.

"Oh come on." She sighs. "You do not want to tell me your name?" Culsu feels about to really lose her patience. This man drives her crazy in a good and a bad way at the same time and now this woman who plays games with her as well. This is going too far.

Brown hair is showing partially from beneath the hood of the woman. She lifts her right hand and places her finger on Culsu's lips. In doing so, the sleeves partially slide up her arm and reveal the skin of her hand. It is pale but covered with symbols and letters all over from beneath the sleeve up to her fingertips. Even her palm was not spared. The silver-haired woman shies away from the dark tattoos on the fingertips but as her lips get touched by the finger she can feel a soft warmth coming from the person in front of her. She means no harm. There is peace. She radiates harmony.

Culsu bites her lip and sighs. "Well. Shall we move then?" The other person nods and behind the shadow of the hood, there might even be a smile. "I guess you are mute? This would at least explain your denial of telling me your name." She touches the hand of the woman and guides the small finger away from her lips. The sleeve instantly falls back over her hand as the arm lowers and covers the marked skin.

"Very well... Let's go then." She touches the robed figure with her hand and her other reaches out to an imaginary spot in front of them. A torch appears in her hand and the air begins to blur. "Let's go then." She repeats. She gestures to the distortion of air. "After you."

The other woman slowly walks forwards into the gate. Culsu looks around one last time. She does not feel comfortable with the idea of stepping right into the wastelands where the angels may roam and patrol. She is no warrior, nor particularly skilled in combat. She is a gatekeeper. After giving it another moment, she follows the woman through the gate and a second later they stand at their destination. The hills of Igashotar. Next to her stands the dark robed creature but as Culsu's eyes adjust to the bright light of the sun she gasps and her hand reaches for her dagger. Less than 10 meters away three angels stand in front of them in full plate armor and white wings. Their swords hang from their belts, still sheathed as they look at the two arrivals.

The one in the middle raises his hand. "Do not fret. We seek you no harm." His voice is gentle and sounds honest but Culsu knows quite well that no one can be trusted. Neither demons nor humans and most of all, not the angels. The woman next to her touches her hand gently and nods at her.

"What the hell is going on here?" She growls and looks at the dark robed person next to her then toward the angels.

"We expected your arrival ambassador. All is set as you requested and I feel honored you trust me enough that you accepted my invitation." The man directs his words to the woman next to Culsu then looks at the silver-haired one. "My name is Gabriel." He says with a polite and inviting gesture. Behind them a couple of tents are visible. A small camp with a fire in the middle. "Please come. We have much to talk." His long blond hair caresses the polished silver of his armor.

Culsu turns to the woman next to her then back to the angel. "Gabriel?! You mean like, the general of the angel's army? That Gabriel?"

The man nods and smiles at her. "That would be me I guess."

"And ambassador?!" She turns once more to the woman next to her. "Who the hell are you?" She asks and still feels the woman's warm hand on her own. All her muscles had tensed and she is ready to defend herself.

The dark robed person turns and faces her. Her hands reach for her hood and pulls it down. Culsu gasps and stumbles backward a few steps as she stares into the pitch-black eyes of the creature.

"You?!" She exclaims and lowers her eyes. She instantly recognized the face. Her heart pounds hard and the adrenaline rushes through her veins. Only now she understands the magnitude of this employment. This is going much more beyond than what she ever could have expected.

Gabriel does another polite gesture toward the small camp. "Shall we?"

The robed woman smiles and turns toward the angel. She nods at him then offers her hand to the still shocked Culsu. She hesitates but then accepts and moves closer. The dark robed creature kindly walks her over to the angels and together they enter the camp. Food has been prepared and placed on a table next to the fireplace.

They indeed were expected.