Allies

Virgo steps out of the forest and into the light of the fireplace. With almost dancing steps he approaches Naamah and the angel. His blond hair partially covers his blue eyes and he smiles at them with his usual playful and childish grin. The angel looks at him then at Naamah totally flabbergasted. It was long past the boy's bedtime and being in the woods was dangerous even by day for a child like him. She sheathes her sword and wants to walk over to him but Naamah holds her arm and grabs their backpacks. She shakes her head slowly to the woman as the angel is even more confused by this reaction.

"What are you doing here Virgo? You should be at home sleeping!" She directs her voice toward the child with a very strict tone. "I will bring you back."

"No!" Naamah gasps and instantly covers her mouth with her other hand knowing it was not her right to speak up like this but something apparently made her feel afraid.

"Catch mes... Catch mes if yus can!" The boy giggles and dances around the fire before he dashes off toward the border of the forest. "Mes faster dan yus!"

Again, the angel prepares to follow him but Naamah wraps her arms around her leg. "Please. Please do not go, Mistress!"

The angel glares down toward the demon; her eyes sparkle in anger and change from their complete black color to the normal humanlike blue eyes like always when she has to fight her temper or to shield herself against strong emotions. She grabs the darkling's wrist and turns it painfully so that the demon gasps in agony and let go of the leg. She releases the wrist and pushes Naamah away.

"How dare you?!" She growls at the darkling. "This has been twice in a row you stepped out of line. Who do you think you are?" She sighs. "I will deal with your insolence at a later time." She turns toward the border of the forest.

"Catch mes... Catch mes Naamah." She can hear a voice coming from the forest and Virgo dances along the treeline but then he suddenly turns silent and is gone from view as he entered the forest.

"Please do not go Mistress." Naamah pleads once more but the angel grabs a branch laying in the campfire to use it as a torch.

"I will be right back." She replies, but the moment she is about to leave the demon there are more noises coming from the forest. She turns to Naamah and the expression on her face is furious.

"Tell me what is going on here!"

"Run!" Naamah yells. She grabs the angel's wrist and tries to drag her away but the woman refuses to move anywhere. Instead, her other hand takes hold of the grip of her katana while she shakes the demon off. She throws the torch back into the flames then turns toward the noises and positions herself next to the fire so she can see what is coming.

Three creatures move slowly into the light. In the center of them, a tall demon seems to lead them. His dark horns and wide leathery wings add to his size, making him appear perhaps one and a half times as tall as the angel. His heavy hooves stomp on the soft grass beneath him leaving nothing but ash where they touch the ground. In his right hand, he holds a sword while he wields a whip with his left. The dark brown skin is only covered by a loincloth around his hip and chains around his wrist are bound like bracers. His sword is notched and rusty but shows traces of blood. His face has the features of a younger man and is covered by scars. One of them right across his left eye which is milky and blind.

Left and right of him dogs with dark skin and red glowing eyes growl toward the angel and Naamah. Smoke ascends from their nostrils and massive collars with long silver spikes are wrapped around each of their necks.

"At last." The man growls and his deep voice echoes through the forest like a messenger of doom.

The angel turns her foot and takes a deep breath trying to find her center. This one did not come in peace or to talk. This time a fight is inevitable and she knows it. Her hand tightens around the grip and she closes her eyes.