2# A set-up

Subaru was confused beyond imagination. He had died. Smashed by Puck's huge paw. And yet, he was still breathing. Walking in the pretty streets of Lugunica. Not in the dull dirt roads of the slums. And now he had his bag with human food too. That, confused him the most. It was all so strange. Before he started to jump into conclusions, he stopped himself, and started walking. He had to observe his surroundings, and find out what happened to him.

He walked like a ghost, without emotion and with a full detachment of the world around him. Yes, I remember this street, he noted. Then, I went there, he reminisced turning at an alley. Hoodlums found me... then Lia appeared and we went seeking places where she could speak with lesser spirits.

- Hey! You! - said a voice behind him.

Subaru looked back. It can't be.... It was the the three young thugs. But the big guy had his shoulder totally healed. The tiny one wasn't scared of him at all.

- Give me yer' money and we will go easy on ya.

The skinny teen had told him exactly THAT, the time before. Subaru had the surreal feeling that he was staring behind a window, or in front of a TV.

- I think he can't understand us - said the big guy.

The tiny one grunted.

- GIVE! - he said making a gesture of 'come closer' or 'pay up'.

Subaru did not budge.

- OUT OF THE WAY! - said a now familiar childish voice.

It was Felt, the little blonde thief. Running again. Jumping to the rooftops the same way as before.

Did I foresee the future?, Subaru thought, starting to break free from his stupor. No, he hadn't forseen the future. Everything since the beginning felt real. He remembered the taste of the big guy's flesh, or the smell of Lia, or the cold of the snow... specially the pain of his rinkakus being torn in half! He... somehow... had rewinded time. When Puck squashed me, I went back in time.

- Let's het this over with - said the skinny guy, whipping out his two knives. - Give me all ya got now!

Subaru snorted amused, and dashed.

'Lia', the half-elf girl turned around the corner to see something she had not expected. The sight of two unconscious boys (one bleeding on the shoulder, the other with blood on his worn shirt), and a tiny one pointing a knife towards a dark haired one. Still, she managed to keep cool and go straight to the point.

- Excuse me! - she said.

The dark haired boy looked at her with a slight smile. The tiny one turned his head a bit, eyeing her with the corner of his eye.

- Have you seen a thief? A little girl, with blonde hair, carrying a jewel that belongs to me.

- Oh, you are talking about Felt. - said The dark haired boy. - I know where she is.

That was great! Finally something good happened to her!

- Wonderful! ... May I know what happened here? - she said while cocking her head with a worried expression.

- He is a monster! - suddenly yelled the tiny boy, still pointing the knife towards the dark haired one. - He attacked us!

- No. These are street thugs that messed with the wrong person - he explained, a bit tired, to her. - He is still holding one of the knives they threatened me with - added while pointing at the tiny boy.