7# A little better

Subaru opened his eyes, realizing he was laying on his bed. Apparently, the universe wanted him to live... I am in Roswaal's mansion? ... Great, he pondered. It was comforting to see that he didn't have to repeat the encounter with Emilia and company, as well as the confrontation with the assassin.

When he got up, Rem and Ram were standing in the middle of the room, staring at him neutrally.

- Good morning mister Leo - the two twins said at the same time.

- Master Roswaal has informed us of your status here as an honorary guest - explained Ram. - We are at your service.

- He wants you to know that you have permission to do whatever you may please on the mansion - continued Rem.

- Also - added Ram. - Master Roswaal wants you to to learn to read and write. We will teach you every night.

Subaru just stared at them, specially Rem. There she was, still alive. Neither of the two seemed to remember a single thing that had happened before. If 'before' even exists, he contemplated. With a sigh, he got up (with only his underwear), and got closer to the girls.

- Is there something you want, mister Leo? - asked Ram, still serious.

Rem, on the other hand, seemed a bit confused.

Subaru started at his window for a moment, and looked once again at the pair.

- Just call me Subaru - he said. - Leo is not my real name. No need for 'sir' or 'mister', just 'Subaru'.

Ram frowned a bit, while Rem raised her eyebrows.

- Treat me like a regular person. Really. ... Let's just get along - he offered.

Ram expression softened a little. Rem now showed a hint of surprise.

- I don't want anything right now - he assured trying to sound as gentle as possible. - But thank you.

The two sisters looked at each other.

- Fine - decided Ram. - Call us if you need anything.

Subaru wanted to argue about not needing them to do more, but they were maids. They served. The best he could do was to ask as little as possible, and let them do their job. So, the two girls left, with no apparent tension in the air. Good enough for now, thought Subaru moving towards his clothes.

When Emilia and Puck arrived, Subaru was already clothed and staring at the window. This time, without coffee on his hands.

- There you are, Leo! - said Emilia at the door.

Yeah, just like that first morning, Subaru confirmed breathing in, still staring at his window.

- How did it go with Roswaal? Are you staying here for some time, before you depart? - she asked hopeful and cheerful.

Subaru's pressed his teeth with that reminder.

- I can't go home Emilia, I've known that for some time now - he said turning around to face Emilia.