18# Halfway deals

Morning came, and with it, Subaru once again trained with Wilhelm in the yard. At this point Subaru was satisfied with his swordplay. Still, he didn't like wielding a close-range weapon. Not to insult koukaku users... but he didn't like this sort of combat.

Maybe he could learn archery, or throwing knives... maybe... maybe use a whip? That was the most rinkaku-like weapon he could imagine...

- Subaru - Rem's voice softly interrupted.

Both Subaru's train of thought and sword routine stopped. Wilhelm did so too. It sounded urgent.

- We must discuss something important - she said dead serious.

After that, Subaru excused himself to Wilhelm, and retreated inside the mansion. Where he sat face to face with Crusch. Rem stood face to face with Felix.

- Has Rem told you what is going on? - Crusch

A shiver ran down Subaru's back. "Wait for a clear signal", was the first order on Roswaal's instructions. He gave a concerned look at Rem.

- What I felt was... - she said -  Something like a presence, through the sense I share with my sister.

Subaru knew what that meant. The 'cult'. Roswaal wrote: 'Defeat the cult with the remaining forces'. Subaru wasn't sure of what this group was capable of, or how numerous it was. Which unnerved him to no end. Were the members enough to defeat a ghoul? That was not the worrisome part, but what they would do to him in case of being overwhelmed. Hopefully they wouldn't resort to torture.

- My sister could have used her clairvoyance to get a clearer picture, but I... - she continued, closing her eyes as if concentrating

- So I guess you picked a nyasty sort of synesthesia from her, huh? - Felix offered, in good nature.

- We don't know the details, either - Crusch pointed out. - But it came from the Mathers domain, which you know as Margrave Roswaal's territory. Evidently, some troubling movement was seen in the vicinity of his mansion.

Rem shifted worried, Subaru kept his serious expression.

- Parts of the domain are already on high alert.

- Then we have to move as fast as possible - Subaru said, standing up from his seat.

- Right now? - Crusch asked.

- Yes, in some minutes we will leave. If Rem here is not against the idea.

Rem shifted once more in surprise.

- I... um... We have to help mistress Emilia as soon as we can... - she argued.

Subaru nodded, then he looked at Crusch and Felix.

- I thank the services provided to me and Rem. I apologize for leaving so unceremoniously and causing any inconvenience - Subaru said turning around.

- Wait! - Felix interrupted. - Your gate is not totally healed.

- It is mostly - Subaru corrected. - That will be enough.

Felix could only stare worriedly as Subaru walked away, with Rem following, after giving a polite bow.

Subaru gave a serious look at Rem in his room.

- We have to go right now - Subaru proposed. - Bring only the necessary. What is not essential stays here.

Rem raised her eyebrows.

- Are you sure about that?