20# Before the storm

Rem and Subaru were deep in the Mathers territory. Birds could be heard chirping with the first rays of morning light. And no attack had befallen the two sleep deprived youths. Everything was calm, but Subaru was trying to smell or hear something suspicious. It was necessary. Plus, better be busy with that, than dwelling on the... situation between him and Rem...

Not much later, Subaru felt two human scents, village children. And, effectively, a little boy and a little girl appeared further ahead. The children took notice of Rem and Subaru, and waved from afar.

Rem waved back with a weak smile. Subaru waved halfheartedly.

The children approached them, but then saw Subaru covered in dust and dirt, looking as if he had truly been run over by a vehicle. Obviously, they ran at them asking what just happened to him. Hopefully, he would be able to angle himself in a way to not show the bloodstained opening on his back.

I've lost their souvenirs because of the whale..., Subaru noted, while the children hurried to face the two.

Candy, a shiny stone, and a bokko fruit. All his belongings too. Among those, also his phone.

Damn. He had lost many possessions, but the loss of the phone, and the children's presets felt the most heavy for Subaru. More so than his meat cache. Everything would revert to how it was some days ago, and still that did not shake off his discomfort.

- What happened to you, Subaru? - the girl asked, finally having caught up to them.

Subaru shook himself out of his moping, and concentrated on the worried children that were standing in front of him. And before he could lie, Rem spoke up.

- We were intercepted by a dangerous mabeast on our way to the Mathers' Mansion, but Subaru took care of it - she explained calmly. - There is little to fear now.

The two children looked at him and smiled.

- When I grow up I want to be like you! - said the boy.

Subaru forced himself not to frown. And instead, raised his eyebrows (still, pressing his teeth).

- Well, thank you - he replied.

- Were any of you hurt? - asked the girl. - What sort of mabeast was it?

Again, Subaru tried to speak, but Rem did so first.

- We will explain everything once we get some rest. The trip we have had has been quite taxing - Rem told, reflecting quite well each other's experience.

- Oh... sorry - the girl apologized, looking away.

- It's no big deal, we will tell you some time later. Now go - Subaru concluded, clapping the back of the boy.

The boy nodded enthusiastically, while the girl nodded once. Then the little children went on their way and waved at their seniors.

Rem waved back, and Subaru did so too. Thankfully, Subaru managed to always face them, hiding his back all the time. He didn't have time for more explanations and suspicion.

- Let's go - Subaru softly prompted Rem. - I really need a bath.

She nodded absently. Subaru sighed inwardly, and hoped he could get over with this try soon. He hated seeing Rem so... hurt.

Still, both proceeded walking, with the mansion some minutes ahead. Ram, Emilia and Beatrice should probably be having breakfast by that time.

If only my meat cache was still here..., Subaru cursed as he kept going. Roswaal was away again, so Subaru had to bear the hunger that was forming in his stomach. Unless I go for the cult...