5# Emilia talks

Okay, talking Emilia out of it didn't work, thought Subaru as he laid on the roof. Then, the only choice left is pretend..., he decided bitterly. It wouldn't be hard to hide his identity as a ghoul. But seeing that she believed him to be something greater, was maddening. No, wait... Puck... goddamn, cursed Subaru. He can call me out when I am faking in front of Emilia... He probably told her how I felt every moment of the day!. That spirit was a bad business, it had to be dealt with, but... he just couldn't... Let's just worry about my problems tomorrow, he thought.

Subaru grunted once more, and got up. The sun was getting lower and lower, and soon Rem and Ram would start making dinner. After that, supposedly, they would start teaching him how to write and read. Maybe then I will have something to occupy myself with!. Up in the roof he couldn't pick up someone else's scent. Not that his ghoul nose was something out of the ordinary. But there was no stranger's smell nearby. So, everything was cool. He once again took off his fancy shoes and jumped down the roof to land as gracefully as he could with that stuffy dress of his.

The time he had before dinner was spent checking random rooms, and familiarizing a bit better with the mansion. He even felt that strange tugging on a certain door, but decided to ignore it, since it probably lead to the bratty (annoyed) girl.

At some point everything was getting too dark to see. So Subaru thought of using the phone he had been carrying when he was summoned to this world. But quickly realized that his phone was still in his room. And that his dress lacked any pockets to speak of. Hopefully Roswaal will add that to the new attire, thought Subaru as he made his way back to more lit spaces in the mansion.

As he moved, he scrunched at the choking smell of vegetables and animal meat. Probably dinner was ready. Which meant that sooner he could start learning the language. It wasn't exciting, but it was better than nothing. And definitely better than being bothered by Emilia. Great, just find Rem or Ram, he thought resolute. In the kitchen the air would be thick with the stench of human food, but at least the staff would hurry up a little bit more, and they would know where to find him.

- To the damn kitchen it is - grumbled Subaru for himself.

It took little time to reach the kitchen, where the two maids were filling plates with... admittedly nice looking human food. But the smell it emanated...

- Rem, Ram - announced Subaru. - I'll be on my room. If you hurry up I would appreciate it.

Rem looked at him a bit confused. Ram, serious as always, spared him a quick glance, and kept serving food on other plates.

- We will do what we can, mister Leo - said Rem.

Oh, yeah, they still don't know. Well, good enough for now, thought Subaru as he got out of that stinky place and made his way to his room.

Too much time later, Ram knocked at the door, and Subaru let her inside. She could see that Subaru had moved the vases of the tiny table, and placed the two spare chairs near it. He wanted as much space as he could get.

- Good night mister Leo - Ram greeted with a bow. - Today we will study the basic characters. Later on, you will read a children's book, with simple vocabulary - she said neutrality.

- I KNOW how to read and write in my own language - Subaru explained angry.

- I never questioned your abilities mister Leo. I apologize for the misunderstanding - she said bowing again.

Subaru pressed his teeth. WHATEVER!, he thought dismissively.

She then sat, and placed some paper sheets on top of the table. As well as an ornate quill feather, and an inkwell. Subaru, sat as well, and awaited for Ram's instruction.