8# Getting ready

Subaru woke up ready for the day ahead, but took his time to dress with his usual clothes. When he went to the dining room, everyone was there, eating calmly. Felt was eating her own way, though.

- Good morning - Subaru said offhandedly.

- 'Morning L...- Felt tried to reply with her mouth half full.

Then the young once-thief, frowned, and chewed deep in thought.

- ... Subaru - Felt finally said.

He simply gave her a half smile.

- Good morning Subaru - Emilia greeted with her usual good attitude.

Subaru nodded to her. That girl's smile, though, could melt butter. Knock it off, dude. You are a ghoul, Subaru reminded himself. Now frowning internally, he went to his spot on the wall to make himself present on that time of the day. As his back pressed the wall, and looked at every resident of the mansion having a good morning meal, a yearning awoke in him. Coffee. Maybe I could..., he thought before realizing the implications of the thought. 'Maybe I could get some coffee' was what he had thought. But if he got coffee, then he would have no excuse to NOT sit with them. It would be weird to sit with humans on any meal. Besides, what would he do if someone offered human food to him? That's a pretty dumb excuse..., he recognized. But the thing was that he didn't feel like having breakfast with humans. He had never done something like that. I'll get some coffee later..., he groaned, resting his head against the wall.

Once everyone finished, Subaru lingered on the wall, and Rem and Ram stared removing things from the table.

- Where could I find... coff? - Subaru asked tentatively.

The twins looked at him a bit surprised. Had Subaru misspelled?

- We can bring you coff if that is what you want - offered Ram.

- No need for that - he said waving his hand. - I'll make it myself.

- We are the maids of the Roswaal household - Ram explained with her usual seriousness. - Our job is to serve. We insist on letting us do it.

Subaru looked at her conflicted. Insisting on doing things himself made things more complicated? Or letting her serve made him a selfish jerk? ... Just let her do her thing.

- Sorry. Do whatever you have to do... - Subaru said a bit awkward.

- No need to apologize. It is our job - Ram said with a level voice.

With nothing else to say, Ram left with some plates and cutlery.

Subaru then waited while Rem took the last things from the table, and later Ram came with a steaming cup of coff.

- Here - Ram said, extending the cup over a tiny plate.

- Thanks a bunch - he replied with a light smile.

Ram nodded and went to the kitchen to wash the dishes. Subaru smelled the coffee and went to drink outside, with a little smile on his face.

After treating himself, paused and calmly with his morning coffee, this time finely pulverized, Subaru went to the kitchen and quickly cleaned the cup. He left it (alongside the tiny plate) with some drying tableware. Then, he trailed Roswaal's scent and found him on a random lounging room, sitting opposite to Felt. Both in the middle of a conversation.

- talking to servants... - Roswaal said.

The man and the little girl, turned their heads to the door halfway open, and the dark haired boy pushing it.