6# Second chances

In the morning, Subaru woke up, and clothed himself like an angry child before going to school. He had an assignment, and he did not want to do it. But it was the right thing to do.

- Goddamnit - he whispered while he adjusted his fancy dress.

He breathed in, and walked out of his room, heading to dining room.

As he made his way, he tried to cool himself down. Going around pissed off would only have bad consequences, and he had been negative enough this last two days. So, when he arrived, he managed to have only a "bad morning" face. Everyone was there, eating calmly, except for Felt, who was as lively as ever.

- Good morning, Su-ba-ru - Roswaal greeted.

Subaru simply raised his hand as a reply. The little brat, Beatrice, left her seat, and went to the library in silence.

- Will you accompany us in breakfast? - Felt asked cheerful, eating more politely that the first day.

- Yeah - Subaru said. - Just in presence.

Felt made as if to say something, but simply nodded.

- Emilia - Subaru called.

- Yes? - Emilia said pausing her eating, smiling  at Subaru.

He stared at her. Her eyes were earnest and her smile genuine. She was so...

- ... I would like to talk to you after breakfast - he asked a bit resigned.

- Alright - she said widening her smile. - Outside?

- Sure... okay.

And just like that, Subaru reclined on the neatest wall with his arms crossed. Calmly watching Roswaal, Emilia, Puck, and Felt, eat. And Rem and Ram waited nearby, to pick up empty plates or hear orders.

After everyone filled their stomachs for the day ahead, Emilia rose, with Puck hovering above her shoulder. And prompted Subaru.

- Shall we go?

- Yes... - Subaru sighed, bouncing off the wall.

The three went out, in the frontal yard of the mansion. There, Emilia slowed down, turning at Subaru.

- What is the thing you wanted to tell me? - she asked eagerly and chipper.

- Yeah... - Subaru mused, ruffling his hair.

He sighed again, and looked down. He just needed a bit of time. ... Okay, go on.

He opened his mouth, but nothing came out of it. Instead, he frowned. Subaru closed his eyes. Perhaps he just needed to clear his mind. Come on... say it..., Subaru urged himself. But his frown was getting deeper and deeper. He had his mouth open, but still no words.

He wanted to make amends with Emilia... Give closure to this "fight"... But it was just... so hard...

- ...

- It's fine Subaru - said Emilia placing her hand on his shoulder

Subaru shifted, and opened his eyes.

- You can tell me later. What matters is that you finally found peace - she said with a smile, as she lowered her head to make eye contact with him.

Subaru breathed in, pressed together his lips, but nodded.

- Is there something else you want to tell me? - she offered, returning to her previous position.