4# First day in the mansion

Subaru woke up early the next day. All due to some curtains he forgot to move before dropping dead on his bed. He grunted, and got up.

- Good morning mister Leo - greeted Rem and Ram at the same time.

It can't be, he deadpanned. It was the two maids. Two human girls, dressed in french maid uniform, trying their best to imitate the 'creepy twins talking'... The universe must be laughing its ass off with me....

- Master Roswaal has informed us of your status here as an honorary guest - explained the serious Ram. - We are at your service.

- He wants you to know that you have permission to do whatever you may please on the mansion - continued the less repressed Rem.

Yeah, 'anything', right?.

- Also - added Ram. - Master Roswaal wants you to to learn to read and write. We will teach you every night.

Quite thrilling, he thought much more annoyed.

- If you have nothing else to say, leave - ordered Subaru, not in the mood to pretend being pleasant.

Without a single word, the two girls walked to the door.

- Wait.

The two stopped and faced Subaru once again.

- Bring me a cup of coffee or coff, if you can.

The two bowed and left the room.

Some time later, Subaru had his shirt and pants on, as well as his trusty tracksuit. Also, sipping at a nice and warm cup of coffee. There was some chunks of grain that weren't totally pulverized, but that gave Subaru something to nibble at, from sip to sip.

There he was, on his room, drinking coffee, silently staring at the mansion's yard, while the sun blanketed everything. It was a nice view, but it wasn't the view that occupied him, nor was the coffee. What to do now?, he asked to himself. As far as Subaru knew, he had only had two lowly desires: finish school, and avoid being caught by inspectors. Now he was on a world free of ghouls, and by consequence, free of inspectors. And his education was near useless in this antiquated world. What was he to do? Settle down here, as a freeloader? Doing whatever Roswaal wanted him to do? Perhaps I should run away and become a mercenary, he wondered. But there's always the possibility that when I die, everything will repeat..., noted uncomfortable.

- There you are, Leo! - said Emilia at the door.

She might do, thought Subaru while turning around.

- Look at that, a princess in a blouse came knocking at my door - he observed, injecting some sass into him to cover his actual bitterness.

She, as expected, turned red at the remark.

- Do not say that!

Is she begging? Or just reprimanding me?, wondered Subaru feeling a bit better now.

She really was wearing a sleeping blouse, finely made, but nothing out of the ordinary.

- Whatever you say miss Emilia - he quipped further.

- Not that either, please!

- You keep teasing her like that, and I will take matters into my own hands - said Puck peeking from the door frame.

Subaru felt himself tense a little bit.