11 || the visit

Forkle was a sly old man, he somehow switched my father's pendant and gave me a fake one. The original pendant, the one my father gave to Oralie, who threw it back in his face when he joined the Neverseen. Who then gave it back to Forkle, who gave it to Sophie when she was thirteen. He stole it as soon as he saw it around her neck when she went to spy on Bondie after turning Calla into a tree.

Sophie stole it back though, it may have taken a year, but she took it off her father the same way he took it from her. She ripped it off his neck and shoved him into the ground, telling him how she was so disappointed about how he turned out.

"You're just lying because I was given your precious necklace." Ramzi stuttered, wondering if she's wrong, which made Sophie smile.

"It is a pendant, and you stole it," She said in a sing-song voice.

She stiffened a little when Bondie got a little closer to it, he's seen the pendant before, and he'd seen her thrown to the ground by Gethan. Her hood came off and he saw her, but her father erased his memory. Touching the pendant would trigger the memory.

"Can I see that, it looks so familiar." He mused, stepping closer to Ramzi.

"No," Sophie said as Ramzi said, "Why not,"

Then she remembered that it was a fake and she had nothing to worry about. It would take a lot of practice to see under the illusion, she was surprised when Teal Eyes started laughing, and knowing Blondie he probably wasn't going to see past the illusion and that bothered her.

"Hiding something, Kerys?" Accent asked in a snarky manner, what in the stars had she done to annoy him this time. "Yeah, and it's the fact that he would be touching fermented shit. And the fact that you let a damn shade steal my pendant from you." She directed her last words to Broody.

Sophie faced Jensi who had a small smile on his face, "This has your damn boyfriend written all over this, only the twins are so loyal to you that they'd do this." She gave him a mock bow, "You sure if you dump him--like the others may I add with much respect--he wouldn't give me a chance?"

Something pings in her heart at what he said, but she kept a girlish smile on her face, "I don't know, it's worth a try." She gave him an awkward laugh, "He'd certainly flip when I tell him the truth--I'm not going to dump him. He's going to run away," That made Jensi's face drop, it was a mix of confusion and a dawning on his face.

She'd kept the truth from so many people over the years, she felt it was time for them to know the truth.

Everyone in the room but her and Jensi thought that she was talking about the scars and grimaced. She read their minds, "Apologies won't erase what happened, they make them worse in fact. This was my fault,"

With that she stood up and strided out of the room.

Their apologies would just be wrong, it was their fault but hearing them would make a fire in her blood. Apologies don't erase the past, they can't fix the future, and they sure as stars can't erase the scars on her skin. They cannot truly be sorry, or they wouldn't have done it in the first place. So they cannot truly take the fault, or they wouldn't have replaced her. So they may not ask what they can do to fix it, because what they have done is unforgivable.

And apologizing for something you know nothing about means nothing, they can't fix a lie with an excuse.

//

Sophie was brooding on the top of Oralie's tower when she heard footsteps near her. She looked back to see the grumpy old Bronte who surprised her this morning. He clearly knew who she was and said nothing.

He looked the same as he did years ago, if not a little more tired. His ears grew a bit as well, his gray blue eyes as cold as always. Sophie thought that maybe if he wasn't such an ass they would have gotten along when she first came to the cities.