16 || the warning

"It's a pleasure to see you again, Councillor. I thank you for the invitation, and must wish you luck for the alliance that you seek. We will be departing very soon, I hope that there is no trouble when we leave."

//

Sophie didn't know why she even bothered.

She risked more than just her neck by telling him this. Not just saving his life part, there was more to the decoded message.

Bronte knew who she was, so before she departed Oralie's tower those days ago she told him something.

"I don't know how, but I sense a great deal of trouble coming up." She told him when she went to say goodbye, "It circles around one specific day; the gala. I know that you may want peace from this corruption, but your fellow Councillors do not. I will try to talk it over, it will likely not work."

He stared at her dumbfounded, "Am I supposed to thank you for that?"

"No, you're supposed to listen. When the time comes I will tell you more." She walked away from him, "Have a good evening, Councillor, I'll be seeing you soon."

Then he said something that he thought she probably couldn't hear. It made her smile all the more, "You wear many masks, Sophie Foster. But none have a purpose, you need an alias that makes people wonder. Make them think, make them worry."

It may have seemed like Bronte was trying to get an alliance with the Exiled, but she was merely telling him that the Black Swan did not accept his offer of peace. The other part was telling him that though she may not be a danger to him, someone else there was.

Sophie made her way around Everglen. Sadly, she didn't remember much about the place so she was immediately lost. She climbed up staircases and opened doors that she was most likely not welcomed to. She ran a hand through her hair and pulled out some eyelashes, "How hard is it to find a gods damned bathroom?"

As she turned the corner, she crashed into someone. She lost her balance, falling back till the person caught her, "My la--," She remembered that voice.

Sophie gasped and backed away from him--Ruy. She threw a fist at his face, but he caught it, "They were right, you were going to throw a punch first and ask questions later."

She wrestled her hand free from his grip, and sent a leg to his abdomen. He caught her leg though, pulling her forward. She tried to free her leg, losing her balance and crashing into the wall behind her--dragging Broody with her.

He lost his balance too, his face smashing into her neck. She was sure that if he listened hard enough, he could hear her racing pulse. The hand he used to brace himself was crushed behind her lower back--basically her butt.

Sophie felt him tug, but his hand was still there, "What are you doing? Let me go, I promise not to hit you again."

That was a straight out lie, he seemed to realize it too, "Sorry!" He mumbled, "My rings are caught in your dress. On both my hands," He tried to remove the hand holding her leg, but it was stuck.

"Just great," She hissed, rage and violence clear from her tone, "Could you at least move your head, it's bothering me."

He left his head there though, and it was weird because it seemed like he was smelling her. His hand moved up her leg, and she took much satisfaction when he found her blade. But it scared her that his hands were still on her body. She was involuntarily shaking, and she hated the vulnerability.

"Ruy," She tried using his real name, "Please, don't touch me. Please, let go."

He was doing so when he stopped, "I would, but you attacked me first. You're a traitor."