19 || the hug

It was just another day for Sophie, or as normal as it could get with both the Black Swan and the Neverseen breathing down her neck.

She really didn't want to betray them, but they were taking this a bit too far. To kill the Councillors? Councillor Alina and Emery she understood—they were stuck up—but the rest? Oralie? Kenric? Bronte?

They knew that those Councillors were good. For gods sakes! Oralie was her mother. Forkle knew that, everyone must have known that. How could they not expect her to rebel against them and warn everyone.

Ignoring those thoughts, she walked into Kesler's apothecary. Today was the triplets birthday, and she wanted to surprise them with a surprise birthday check in.

She had to be very attentive today during her visit, anything could happen today and anything could go wrong. For stars sakes, the Councillors were almost murdered last week. Everyone was one their toes, whispering and muttering words of treason.

Inside the apothecary it was quiet and empty. Kesler was sitting at the front counter, a smile coming to his face when he spotted her. "Moon," He said cheerfully, "I am glad to see you alive, Jules said they gave you hells and then you disappeared."

"I'm fine, but can we keep my visit on the DL? I'm trying to avoid everyone, the only reason I came was because—" they insisted. She was interrupted by three loud and obnoxious voices.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" Sophie smiled at the three fourteen year olds that barged into the store through the back entrance. Each fighting harder than the last to get to her first, tackling her with a humongous hug.

"Happy birthday!" They gushed to her, and she wrapped them in a tighter hug.

One by one they started getting antsy, so she released them from the hug so Kesler could pull them up.

Lex was brought up first, the poor boy looked traumatized. She wondered what his siblings did to him this time, or if it was because she hugged them for that long and he didn't know how to react.

Then Bex. She grew taller, finally surpassing Sophie's five foot three height. The female triplet gave her a warm smile that made her look like an exact replica of Juline—but with lighter hair.

Lastly Rex got up, no longer smashed on her because of the weight of his siblings.

Rex was her favorite triplet—not that she was ever going to say that out loud, but everyone could already suspect.

He stuck a hand out for Sophie and pulled her up. He also had a growth spurt it seemed, he was the tallest triplet now. She smiled knowing the shit he must have given his sister because of it. He smiled back at her and she winced a little—he looked so much like Dex when he was their age...younger even.

"Agh, you guys are so tall now! I feel like the younger cousin now." She fake pouted, making sure they didn't sense her shifting emotions. She was successful with three of the four elves in the room.

Rex just gave her one of those long looks that she rolled her eyes at. She was about to speak again when a warning bell went off, someone was about to come into the shop.

"I promise, I'm going to come back later." She told them, "I can't risk getting seen and recognized. But I will spend time with you guys later, I should probably go check in on everyone...but then I swear I will come back."

//

"Sterling Gables," She whispered, then she disappeared into the light, reappearing in the living room of her home.

Not even a second later..."Sophie Elizabeth Foster"—her real full name, she winced when hearing it—"Where have you been! We have been looking everywhere for you!"