Chapter Twenty One

Hannah and Grace fly home shortly afterwards. Grace stays silent the whole flight, her brown eyes desolate and empty. Hannah holds her hand, feeling it's cold and clammy texture. When Grace thought Hannah was asleep, she let herself cry, but Hannah saw. Hannah caught Grace wiping away tears, but she ignored it, knowing Grace wouldn't want Hannah to see her upset.

When they've reached their house, after pulling until the drive, Hannah rushes around the side of the car to help Grace out. Grace is weak, despite how much she tries to pretend everything is fine. She's tired and worn, her skin paled and eyes sad, her body sagging with sorrow. Hannah slides an arm gently around Grace, supporting her girlfriend's weight and helping her to the house.

Hannah insists on taking Grace to bed, tucking her in like a small child and kissing her forehead. It's late, 12:01am, so Hannah climbs in bed as well. She's just shut her eyes when she hears a small sob emit from Grace's side of the bed. Hannah turns to face Grace, and sees tears flowing and Grace's body shaking with sobs.

"Baby, come here." Hannah whispers, pulling Grace into a soft embrace.

"I don't want to die." Grace says, her voice tight. "I want to live a long life. I want to marry you and be able to call you my wife. I want to give you children, I want to give you grandchildren. I want to be yours forever."

"Gracie, you're the strongest person I know. You have fought through everything there is to fight through. Depression, you kicked its ass. Anxiety, you're fighting like a champ. Trust issues, you've beaten to a pulp. You can beat this cancer, I know you can. You just have to believe in yourself." Hannah replies.

"Thank you Hannah." Grace murmurs, burying her face in the crook of Hannah's neck. She breathes in Hannah's familiar and sweet scent. She smells like fresh pastry somehow, like she's always just come out of the kitchen. It's calming for Grace.

"I love you." Hannah whispers.

"Han, you know I'm going to try my hardest to beat this thing, but there's a chance I won't. I love you so much and if I die, I want to die being your wife. So will you marry me?" Grace asks. Hannah looks in shock at the beautiful girl lying beside her, wondering how in the world she got so lucky to have Grace love her all over again.

"Of course I'll marry you Grace. Absolutely, no hesitation." Hannah answers, kissing Grace gingerly. It's a careful, slow kiss. Hannah envelopes Grace in her arms, and Grace rests her head on Hannah's chest. They fall asleep this way, their bodies tangled together.