Chapter Six

RING. RING. RING.

"Hello?"

"Helbig!" Mamrie exclaims. "Meet me down the street for drinks. We need to talk."

Grace replies tentatively, "Okay. What about?"

"Life." Mamrie answers vaguely. "Be at the bar in ten."

"Alright."

Grace hangs up and goes to pull on a jacket. She grabs her purse and slides her shoes on before heading out to her car. She drives the short distance to Mamrie's favorite bar. When she enters, she sees Mamrie is already sat at the bar, two vodka lemonades sitting in front of her.

"Here you go." Mamrie says, setting one of the drinks in front of Grace. "I need to get you drunk so you'll be honest."

"Honest? About what?" Grace asks. "I'm always honest with you Mamrie."

"Not about this." Mamrie replies. Grace just looks at her worriedly, picking up her drink and taking a tiny sip.

"What is it?" Grace questions.

"I may be thirty-one, Grace, but I'm not blind or deaf yet." Mamrie starts. "I can see the way you look at Hannah. I can hear how different your voice sounds when you talk to her. I know it's not just friendly feelings." Grace's eyes widen, her heartbeat quickening as she begins to panic.

"I-I-" Grace begins, stuttering over her words.

"Grace, you're head over heels in love with that girl, aren't you?" Mamrie asks. Grace doesn't reply, just looks up to the ceiling to try and stop the tears welling up in her eyes. "Don't cry! Oh shit, I've made you cry, I'm sorry."

"I think I love her." Grace whispers, a tear sliding down her cheek. Mamrie smiles and leans forward to wipe it away.

"Aw, Grace, you're not a robot after all." Mamrie says, mocking her line from Camp Takota. "Don't rust your little robot parts." Grace laughs at that and Mamrie seems pleased. "I knew I could make you laugh."

"Don't tell her Mamrie. Don't tell anybody." Grace insists, her eyes pleading.

"I'll keep it a secret." Mamrie promises. "But you have to tell her, eventually."

"I know." Grace replies, her head spinning.