Chapter Eight

Grace and Hannah make their way through airport security together, arriving twenty minutes before their flight is to board. They're doing things together, as a unit, and Grace is admittedly pretending they're doing this as a couple. They sit side by side in the waiting lounge near their gate, Hannah checking emails and Grace watching her. It's odd, how much Grace could just look at Hannah.

"Do you want a Starbucks?" Grace asks quietly, pulling Hannah from her work daze. Hannah smiles in response.

"That'd be awesome. I'll take a-" Hannah begins.

"Green tea?" Grace asks. Hannah nods, biting her lip cutely. Grace goes to purchase the drinks. The barista gives a warm, maternal smile as she hands Grace the drinks.

"You and your girlfriend a very cute together." She says. Grace blushes, her eyes dropping to the floor.

"She's not my girlfriend." Grace says, a sad smile on her face. The barista seems unconvinced, glancing at Hannah waiting patiently for Grace to return. "I wish."

"Good luck." The barista answers, shaking Grace's hand. Grace takes a minute to register the conversation she just had. She just admitted to a complete stranger that she wishes Hannah was her girlfriend. What the hell was she thinking?

"Thanks again Grace." Hannah says when Grace hands her the drink. "What were you and the barista talking about?"

"She-um" Grace stammers, searching for an explanation. "She said she recognized us." A blatant lie, but better than the truth.

"Oh really? That's cool!" Hannah replies. They hear the boarding call for their flight over the intercom and they both stand. Hannah grabs her bag and Grace picks up her purse, and they both make their way to board the plane. Hannah can tell Grace is tense, even after the many times flying before anxious about getting on the plane.

"Hey, Grace." Hannah whispers as they walk onto the plane. "It's all going to be good. I can tell your upset and anxious, and I get it if you don't want to talk about it, but just know I'm here."

"Thank you Hannah." Grace whispers back. Their eyes meet, and they stop walking for a minute to take each other in. Grace and Hannah are both caught up in the moment. Hannah looks away first, her cheeks burning with blush.