Chapter Twenty Five

Grace knew she was going to loose her hair, but it still made her kind of sad when she woke one morning and saw a chunk of her blonde hair lying on her pillow. She sighs, closing her eyes and touching the bald spot on the back of her skull cautiously. Hannah is still asleep on the small couch in Grace's room. Grace stands, grabs hold of the IV machine's cold metal pole she's hooked up to, and goes to the desk of the main area of her section.

"What can I help you with, Miss Helbig?" The nurse asks warmly.

"Can I have a hair razor? My hair is-I'm going to shave my head." Grace asks in a sad voice.

"Um-sure hold on." The nurse replies, handing her a small electric razor. "Have someone bring it back up to the desk, okay?" Grace agrees and then goes back to her room. She steals into the bathroom quietly, shutting the door behind her. Looking in the mirror, she realises this will be the last time for a long time she sees her hair. Pushing the thought away, she turns the razor on. It's just hair, right? Grace thinks.

She starts at the top and shaves away strips, letting the golden waves fall onto the sink counter around her. It takes less than ten minutes and soon she's looking at a version of herself with no hair. She wipes away a tear, forcing herself to stay strong. It's hair, it doesn't matter, she tells herself. Grace goes back out to her bed and just as she's sitting down Hannah wakes up. Hannah rubs her eyes and glances to Grace, doing a double take.

"Whoa, Gracie, what did you do?" Hannah asks.

"It was falling out anyways." Grace answers slowly. "I know it's probably not ideal for what you'd want your girlfriend to look like."

"Oh my god, don't think like that. You're gorgeous with or without your hair, Grace." Hannah says quickly, sitting on the bed next to Grace. Grace gives a weak smile, reaching into Hannah's open suitcase and pulling out one of her beanies.

"May I?" She asks. Hannah nods and Grace pulls it onto her head, covering the bald head she's now donning.

"Damn, you're adorable." Hannah remarks.

~

Obviously it would be hard to see her family looking at her like she's a kicked puppy, but Grace almost breaks down when her niece and nephew come to see her. Her little niece Erin and nephew Jessie, who come in looking somber. Too somber for a 5 and 3 year old. Grace is sitting on the couch with Hannah cuddled up in her arms when Erin and Jessie come on, followed by John.

"Hey kiddos." Grace says, forcing a wide smile. "Hugs?" Jessie immediately runs over and hugs his aunt, squeezing tightly. It's feels nice to be hugged back just as tightly as she's been giving hugs lately. Erin is more tentative, walking over slowly.

"Where did your hair go Aunt Grace?" The little girl wonders. Grace's heart sinks a little, not wanting to have to explain why her hair is really gone to the impressionable kid.

"I cut it all off. It was in the way." Grace lies, trying to ease her niece's concern. Erin takes the answer and then comes over to hug Grace. Erin's hugs were always some of the best Grace had ever felt, the way she would snuggle her whole body against yours and lean her tiny body weight on you.

Jessie goes to give Hannah a hug too. He looks for a chair to sit in but Hannah says, "You can stay on my lap if you want Jess." Jessie settles himself in her lap easily. He was always taken with Hannah. Erin stays on Grace's lap and John pulls a chair over and sits across from them.

"How are you, Grace?" John asks.

"I'm alright. I've been better, but I'm alright." Grace answers, not wanting to say too much in front of the kids. "Where's Tim?"

"In the lobby, waiting to sign in with Mom." John replies. No sooner than five minutes later, Tim and Theresa come in, trailed by Mamrie and Tyler.

"Hey Gracie," Mamrie greets. "You okay?" Grace nods. The group sit together and talk, trying to ignore the fact they're in a hospital.

"So you two are getting married soon aren't you?" Tim asks Hannah and Grace.

"We hope so, but we don't know if we can, under the circumstances." Hannah says, clasping Grace's hand.

"Well there's a church in the hospital, babe." Grace mentions quietly. "It's not going to be a big ceremony, all I want is to legally be your wife."

"Well I guess we're getting married then!" Hannah exclaims, giving Grace a quick peck on the cheek.