Chapter 4

Grian said his goodbyes to Phil, who promised to keep in touch by sending letters. How that worked, Grian didn't know. Phil had given him directions, and Hermitcraft seemed to lie a couple thousand blocks north of Phil's house. Although he ran out of fireworks a day into the journey, Grian didn't mind all the walking. He took in the beautiful, untouched scenery.

When he finally arrived at Hermitcraft, he discovered the world border was still up. What had happened?

"Hello? X? Mumbo? Is anyone there? Cub?" Grian knew Cub had an ice boat road to the world border. The builder placed his hand on the border. He couldn't pass through. Well that's a predicament to be sure. Not only was he locked out with a dead communicator, he also didn't have any rockets. Meaning if he wanted to get around the world border, he'd have to manually walk. Grian sighed and got to work. He was the type to do long work.

It took a full day to actually walk half the length of the border. The builder sighed and sat on the ground, running his hand through his choppy blonde hair. Tears pricked his eyes.

How was he going to get home? Grian missed his friends, his base, his shop, everything. He didn't stop the tears as they flowed down his cheeks. All Grian wanted was to prank Mumbo, plan secret bases with Impulse, chat with Scar, play minigames, shop, and play. He had to return home. He had to, he had.

Night fell again. Grian stood up and started to walk in the direction of Phil's house. He had nowhere else to go after all.

It took so much longer on foot than it did on elytra. It had been at least three days straight of walking. Grian yawned and rubbed his eyes as rain pelted his head and body.

"Yo! Big pog!"

"Phil...?" Grian perked up when he heard the avian's voice from the woods. It didn't take long to find him, either. He sat on the shore of a large lake, enchanted fishing rod in one hand and a glittering enchanted book in the other.

"Holy shit! Smite IV?! That's fuckin' mental, dude!" Phil cheered and tossed the book into his ender chest before returning to fishing.

"Anyways, as I was saying-" Who was Phil talking to?
And that's when Grian noticed the crows. The little black birds perched on branches, the ground, and a few that were decorated with pretty necklaces rested on Phil's shoulder and head. The avian seemed to be telling them stories as he fished. Grian grinned. It was a rather wholesome sight.

"Hi Phil." Grian whispered. The builder had silently creeped up to the avian, who let out a squawk of surprise. His wings fluffed up as well, which made Grian giggle.

"GAH! Holy shit, mate, you scared the fuck outta me, dude!" He gasped, and put a hand over his heart in fright. The birds on his shoulders and hat fluttered off in surprise too.

"Sorry about that Phil!" Grian laughed.

"I thought you left to go back home, what happened?"

Once Grian stopped laughing, he explained the situation to Phil.

Phil sighed,"I'm so sorry about that, mate. I may be able to send a letter to your friends there, however, explaining the situation."

"Yes! Thank you so much! How do you do that?" Grian plopped himself down on the ground next to Phil.

"I write a letter and my chat delivers the message to whoever it needs to go to. Crows are very intelligent birds."

"Your...chat?"

"Ah, I guess I should explain. Basically: I can talk to crows, and they can talk to me. A small few started following me one day and slowly but surely the number's increased, so now I just have a flock of birds that follow me everywhere." He laughed, and put his fishing rod down, "It's quite pogchamp."