14. Street Party

Zahira was walking down the street. Orion's face was all over the city. He was on the side of buses, his face plastered in shop windows. In the city centre, his face was up on gigantic screens, with his perfect voice purring over the traffic – promising to be the city's saviour and thanking them for believing in him.

Zahira walked with her scarf up over her mouth and her wooley hat pulled down so low that she could barely see. Orion had to be one of the most famous faces in the world right now. It was overwhelming. And terrifying. It made their relationship feel even more ambiguous. They were back together, but were they?

News about Orion was everywhere – reporting his every movement. But not a single article mentioned her. It was almost like she'd imagined that she was his girlfriend and she had no evidence to support it being real. It was depressing. And stressful.

"TROUBLE!" Cesar screamed at her, making Zahira shriek in fight – her heart leaping out her chest. She turned to see Cesar across the street, waving manically at her. "Ah good!" He chimed cheerfully, jogging over to her. "I wasn't sure if it was you or not. That could have been awkward."

Zahira's heart was slowly calming down, but she felt like she'd just aged a couple of years. Cesar, oblivious, was grinning ear to ear. "I just really committed before I was sure. Are you headed back?"

"Yes."

"Me too. I've made Markus a pie. It's terrible." Cesar seemed perfectly happy as he told her how badly his pie-making had gone.

"Won't Markus mind?" Zahira asked tentatively. Cesar shrugged. For a brief moment, his cheery smile faltered.

"It's just an excuse to come over, really." But then he winked at her, his smile quickly returning. "What's it like living with him? Have you ever walked in on him having a shower?" 

"No." 

"Pity." 

But when they got to Markus' street, the place was crowded with people.

"What's going on?" Zahira wondered. People were carrying tables, chairs and food out of their houses and setting them out a party in the middle of the street.

"The Star Immortal has been named mayor." A neighbour told them excitedly. "Everything is going to change now. He'll breathe new life into the city. It's the end of the gangs and corruption."

The atmosphere was euphoric and Cesar and Zahira were soon pulled in to take part in the celebrations.

                As evening drew in, the street glowed with everyone's fairy lights that had been hung up between the light posts. Music blared from multiple speakers and the tables were set in a long, snaking line that was buckling beneath the weight of food. Zahira was sat at a table, surrounded by food and drink – feeling shy and awkward. She didn't feel able to start up a conversation with people she didn't know and when people did speak with her, she was lost on what to say. 

Children raced behind her chair, laughing together, and she envied them for their carefree attitude. Markus was in high demand, helping tenants to carry out more food and chairs. Cesar was discussing wine and beer options with the ladies of number 17 and 19. Zahira sat mute, with no opinion to offer. 

Above them, flags with Orion's face or his symbol (the Orion constellation) fluttered in the breeze. It seemed to Zahira, that Orion was looking down at her and she dreaded that he'd see her somehow and know how incompetent she was. Zahira clung to the hem of her dress and looked almost tearful. The clamour of chatty strangers seemed to be closing in on her.

"Cesar, who is this?" A neighbour asked.

"This is Zahira, she works with me and Markus at the café." Cesar said it proudly and draped an arm over Zahira's shoulder, pulling her into the conversation.

"Hello," Zahira mumbled, ducking her head nervously. Cesar introduced her to everyone, but a frazzled Zahira immediately forgot everyone's names. Markus joined them then and Zahira sighed in relief, glad that Markus became the victim of their attention.

"This is delicious." The woman at number 17 infused, referring to pot of spicy chili.

"Zahira made that one, she's a great cook." Markus spoke up for her and Zahira shrank in her seat.

"Jaz has been teaching me..." She mumbled. A child ran by in a game of tag and clipped Zahira on the back.

"Move in closer." Markus urged, placing a hand on her back to bring her closer to the table. Zahira's heart swelled. She didn't understand why Markus and Cesar were so nice to her, but she was brimming with gratefulness.

                As the night wore on, the music got louder and Zahira found herself getting repeatedly poured drinks. Her phone buzzed in her pocket and, looking at the caller ID, her heart fluttered. Orion was calling her.  

"Sorry, I have to take this." Zahira excused herself, getting up from the table and retreating from the rowdy party. "Hi," she squeaked, accepting the call. Above her head, Orion's face on a poster flapped regally.

"Zahira." The way he said her name made her heart dance in her stomach. "Where are you?"

"My street is having a party." She explained. There was a pause. "Orion?"

"I'm on your street, there isn't any party going on." Orion's tone was stern. Zahira frowned, looking up and down the packed road.

"Yes there – oh!" Zahira exclaimed. "I've moved. I forgot that I never told you." She hit her head.

"I suppose telling me didn't seem important. Why should I know where you sleep at night?"

"I'm staying with Markus." There was another pause. "Orion?" She quickly glanced around, checking that no one had heard her. She didn't want the street to know that she was on the phone with the star immortal.

"Him."

"Yes. I needed to move and err... didn't have anywhere else to go."

"And your first thought was him?"

"Zahira!" Markus called out to her. He beckoned for her to come over, gesturing that he needed her help clearing the tables.

"Just a sec!" She called back. "Orion, I have to go-" But Orion had already hung up.

Zahira bit her lip. She'd missed the chance to tell Orion congratulations on becoming mayor. 

She stumbled slightly, feeling the effects of the alcohol. Thinking back over the conversation, she belatedly realised something...

Orion was mad at her.