34. Trapped in a Nightmare

Ares stood tall, his expression hard. He needed help from the spirits to find Sage. But after the death of Zeus, not all  the spirits had bowed to him. Those belonging to the water supported his uncle, the Sea God, Poseidon instead. And they were hiding, lying in wait, ready to rally should Poseidon make a claim for the throne. Ares had been content to let them hide. But now, for Sage's sake - he needed to address the issue.

 Ares' heart ached and he closed his eyes, offering a breath prayer to the universe. Sage's life was in danger, he could feel it. He was running out of time to save her. 

Wait just a little longer Sage, he pleaded internally,  I'm coming.

Ares conjured his bow and tested the string, pulling it back to gage its tautness. Satisfied, he held the weapon in a firm grasp. He was going to need it. The water immortals needed to be reminded who was their king. Clicking his tongue, he urged Thrax to charge forward. The war horse snorted smoke from his wet nostrils as he broke into a gallop. 

The War God notched his arrow and fired, just as the water immortals realised that he'd broken into their camp. His arrow struck a warrior in the throat and water bubbled up between her lips. Asopus, the ancient river god, was quick to retaliate. Ares ducked to the side, avoiding Asopus' javelin.  That Ares had been able to sneak up on them – rattled their confidence. Ares' crown glowed gloriously on his handsome head as he surveyed his opponents without mercy.

Growling, Ares unleashed a volley of arrows. The water nymphs charged at him, striking fast in a sudden wave. Ares leapt into the air and conjured his trident.

"That is not your weapon!" Hissed an outraged warrior. Ares' gaze was cold.

"I'm the master of all weapons."

Ares speared a water immortal on the prongs of his trident before flinging the body aside and using the tridents perforated edges to slice through a nymph's middle. She collapsed, her insides spilling out over the ground. Asopus lunged at Ares with his spear but Ares dodged the blow and grabbed the spear's shaft. Angling the poisoned tip away from his face, Ares slammed his trident into the river immortal's chest.

Asopus grunted and stumbled back. But from the cracks in the water immortal's armour, embers kindled and smoke unfurled from his joints. Thousands of years ago, Asopus had survived an assault from Zeus' thunderbolts and what should have decimated him – had changed the immortal's body permanently...

Asopus was the only river god also capable of casting fire. 

Ares let go of the spear just in time to conjure a shield between him and the river god. The searing heat of Asopus' blast turned Ares' shield into a iron and the metal blazed white - burning Ares' hands. Across the battlefield, a water immortal cried out – trampled beneath Thrax's hooves. The fire terminated, Asopus needing to rekindle his powers and Ares seized the opportunity. Ares charged at Asopus and flipped him over his shoulder. The ancient god's back slammed against the scorched earth.

The nymphs circled Thrax, their spears pointed at his flesh. Thrax reared in defiance, trapped. Ares moved fast, coming to Thrax's aid, and breaking the circle of steel. Ares' teeth were gnashing in fury as he hacked and slashed at the immortals. The water that flowed from their bodies seeped into the earth, chocking it. 

It was a grim sight, with muddy water sloshing around Ares' ankles as he fought.

At last, he brought his trident tip to Asopus' throat. The remaining water immortals stopped fighting. Water dripped down Ares' face as he locked his gaze with that of the ancient river god.