21. The Thief and the Donkey

Eros was sat in the café, looking beautiful and bored. His silver-blonde hair was disheveled with the tips falling over his sleepy eyes. Sage charged up to him and set her hands on his table with a thud, demanding his attention. She expected him to flinch or looked startled, but Eros merely blinked languidly.

"You owe me." She stated.

"Do I?"

"You used your powers on me to make me..." She blushed. "You made me attack Ares." She reminded him. Eros still looked confused.

Sage leant forward across the table. "What do you think Jaz would say, if I told him that you used your magic on me? That you made me do something that I didn't want to do..." Sage's gaze was calculating as Eros considered her words. "I think he'd be furious. In fact, I think he'd rescind your invitation to stay here. Especially if I asked him to."

She had the love god's attention now. Eros sat upright in his chair; his expression serious.

"What do you want?"

Bingo, Sage breathed a sigh of relief.

"I want to find someone. He's a friend of mine and he's missing."

"Finding people isn't-"

"You're a god. I'm sure, you can figure out a way. And if you don't, well, I might just have to go tattling-"

"When people want to find someone, they ask an oracle." He pointed out, gesturing at her.

"I know he's alive and..."

"And?"

"And somewhere only an immortal can find him. That's all my sight gave me."

Eros sighed. Oracles were known to be accurate but also cryptic and limited.

"There's an immortal with more influence and power than I possess. He might be better placed to help you."

"Who?"

"Ares, the new king of the gods. Have you thought about asking him for help?"

Sage's gaze dropped to the floor.

"I don't think..." She hesitated and bit her lip. 

Eros opened his mouth to say more but was suddenly interrupted. A gaggle of women rushed over to him, elbowing Sage out of their way. Eros immediately clammed up. Shutting his mouth, he became like a block of ice – his gaze looking through his admirers rather then at them.

The women sighed in delight. The god of desire didn't have to do anything to lure them in – his aura was lust inspiring. Sage saw that the women were wearing jewellery of a specific design – the circular labyrinth. One woman had the design on large earrings, that gleamed beneath the café's bright lights, but her fellows wore necklaces that matched.

These women weren't merely fans of Eros, they were part of the new cult of worship for the old gods. Sage had been seeing the design of the labyrinth cropping up everywhere. Frowning unhappily, she left the table and retreated behind the counter.

"I wish he'd just pick one already." Ana grumbled as she made drinks, gesturing to the table Sage had come from.