55. Finding Ezekiel

"Do you think I'd be a good serial killer?" Was Cesar's earnest question. Markus blinked.

"No."

"Why not? I think I have a very honest face – people would never suspect me."

Markus sighed in defeat and tried to make a beeline out of the kitchen.

"Cesar, it's too early in the day for questions like this."

"I just don't think I have serial killer vibes..."

"You know who does have serial killer vibes..." Ana began, having caught the end of their conversation as she walked out of the big fridge.

"Markus." Jaz answered, without hesitating.

"Not who I was going to say, but... yeah, I totally see it." Ana quickly raised a placating hand to an offended-looking Markus. "You know, if I didn't know you. You look a little shifty, mate. Honestly, I think you need more sleep."

"It's also the lack of smiling." Jaz chipped in. "It makes some people scared of you."

Curious, Cesar crossed his arms and assessed Markus.

"Nah, he's too hot to be a mass murderer."

Markus left the room, shaking his head.

"I miss Zahira..." he muttered under his breath. She'd have said something sane to him.

Just then, the café bell tingled as the door was barged open. 

"We aren't open yet-" But Markus stopped speaking, and blinked in surprise – staring at a half-drowned Zahira.

"Is he here?" She asked, her gaze wild and frightened.

"Zahira?! You're hurt!" Markus rushed forward, alarmed by the blood trailing down Zahira's arm. But Zahira batted away his attempts to help her.

"IS HE HERE?!" She demanded.

The others, hearing the commotion, came to investigate. Jaz's expression was thunderous at the sight of Zahira injured. But Zahira refused to given anyone time to question her. "Is the Mad Dog here?!" She screamed.

"No, he isn't." Sage set aside her broom and rushed over. "Why? What happened?" Fear sank deep into Sage's stomach. 

Zahira pushed Markus aside and clung onto Sage.

"Poseidon's after him..." Zahira struggled to catch her breath. "He's been cursed with an obsession for him. I think he's going to kill him."

"Who's going to kill who?" Cesar asked, confused. 

"Poseidon is obsessed with the Mad Dog." 

Sage's eyes widened in horror.

"Obsession?" Sage remembered what it was like, with that curse. After a point, she'd wanted to kill Ezekiel too. She' been consumed with the idea of possessing him – perhaps with chopping him up piece by piece...

"Sage," Zahira pressed – shaking Sage's arm. "Poseidon castrated him – so that he could never be unfaithful." 

The room went quiet and Sage covered her mouth, feeling sick.  Zahira's eyes were filled with tears. "I'm worried about what he's going to do..."