66. The War God's Fate

Zahira scrolled through the photos on her phone. It was clear that past-her had preferred to take pictures rather than to be in them – that made sense. She found photos of the trio that had visited – Cesar (the loud one) was pulling faces in most of them. Zahira kept scrolling and frowned. The person that featured most was the quiet one. She tried to remember the quiet one's name...

Maurice? Mark? Oh, Markus – that sounded right.

She looked down at a photo that past-her must have taken secretly. Markus was bent down, concentrating on perfectly slicing a cake. 

He hadn't said much when they'd met – or when she'd first met him at least. But maybe they were close friends?

"Ah, there you are." Poseidon greeted, entering the room and spotting her. He smiled charmingly, adjusting the cuff links of his suit. He looked good, dressed in a navy suit that fitted snuggly. "Have you eaten yet? Don't forget, you're eating for two."

"I've eaten." Zahira mumbled. Poseidon nodded. "Why don't I have any photos of you on my phone?"

Poseidon looked at her strangely.

"I've filled this palace with plenty images of me." He gestured to one of the many statues of him. "But I can certainly pose if you'd like more." He offered, grinning.

"No, it's fine." Zahira put her phone away.

Poseidon studied her for a moment, trying to guess what she was thinking.

"We should go for a date." He suggested.

"A date?"

"I'm confident you'll fall back in love with me soon." He offered her his hand and, hesitantly, Zahira accepted it.

Poseidon transported them to his underwater carriage. 

"This is the best seat for surveying our kingdom." Letting go of her hand, he poured himself a drink, gesturing for her to take a seat on the couch. Zahira looked around but remained standing. A whale swam slowly past them.

"Love..." she murmured out loud. 'You'll fall back in love with me soon...' Poseidon's words troubled her. 

"We love each other, right?" 

"Of course, well," Poseidon sipped his wine and settled down on the couch. "I love you. I know you've forgotten right now – but that's ok." He tugged her hand gently to make her sit. "I'm not angry about it." He reassured her.

"You love me?"

"Yes." He said it as if it were nothing. And Zahira felt... nothing. She stared out at the ocean's beauty and struggled to keep her face composed. Because she really didn't want to cry in front of this stranger.

**

                        "What's up?" Ana asked, seeing Cesar looking thoughtful in the staff room. Cesar hesitated, his expression grave. Finally, he confessed.

"I've written Markus a poem."

"Ha-huh – oh... a poem?" Ana struggled to keep her face composed. But the urge to laugh was strong.

"Hey, I can have feelings!" Cesar protested.

"I know you have feelings. It's just I thought you were about to tell me someone had died. Why do you look so bloody sad?" Ana reached over and playfully ruffled Cesar's hair. "Can I see it?"