77. Goddess of Ghosts

Hades' gaunt face was sombre as he appraised his nephew.

"I'm here, Uncle. As agreed," Ares spread his arms. He was no longer the war god, but was now the lower rank of War Immortal – his core stripped and left permanently weakened. The underworld's eerie light, cast long shadows down Ares' bloodless face. 

Before his final expulsion from Olympus - Ares had been punished with twelve lightening lashes.

Poseidon had wielded his dead brother's legendary thunder bolt whip and he had been merciless.

Ares slowly went down onto his knee. "Today, I start my one thousand years of service in the underworld."

"We agreed that your service didn't begin until after  the death of... the mortal." Hades reminded him. Ares' jaw clenched.

"It's over between me and her." 

Hades sighed.

"So be it." The god of death stretched out a skeletal hand and touched Ares' forehead, accepting his allegiance. A cruel wind rippled through the underworld, unfurling Hade's dark cloak and carrying with it the sounds distant wailing.  "The ferryman is falling behind schedule. Help him to ferry the souls across the river."

Ares bowed his head.

"Yes... master."

                       Ares stood on a punt, he pushed the ancient pole into the murky depths of the river Acheron and the punt glided silently over the water – its passengers vacant and untroubled. On the river bank, an immortal stood waiting for them. Seeing the tattered black robes, Ares thought it was Hades – until they were closer and he saw the female's long white hair coiled tightly around her head.

Ares kept one foot on the punt and one on the dock – securing them in place and allowing the souls to disembark. Without looking at him, the souls silently moved up the dock – headed for their judgement. But the waiting immortal didn't follow them. Instead, she stepped forward; her beady gaze fixed on the war immortal. Ares bowed his head respectfully.

"Hecate." He greeted.

"Ares." Her voice was rough, like it had clawed its way out of her slender throat.

She appraised him, a dark smile tugging at her lips.

"Do I interest you, Lady of the Crossroads?" Ares asked, unnerved by her gaze.

"I have an offer for you."

Intrigued, Ares stepped off the punt. He stood before Hecate, not flinching when she reached out and stroked the side of his face.

"I can help you to become a god once more." She offered, her dark eyes shining.

"And what do you want in return?"

Hecate's cold hand stroked his muscular arm.

"I want you, Ares. Marry me."

**

                     "Hecate's getting married?!" Jaz exclaimed. "What idiot agreed to that?" Jaz was sorting out the goods in the walk-in freezer with Eros and Cesar. Jaz and Cesar were wearing thick fleeces – their hands turning red from the cold. But Eros didn't seem to bothered by the cold. The pretty elf-like man was doing most of the heavy lifting for them.