56. Across the River

"What is the point of these stupid visions!" Sage screamed. Her eyes were red from crying and her room was a mess – her belongings all thrown in anger at the walls. She hunched over sobbing, her heart breaking. 

Ares stood, unseen, on the landing outside her room. He was torn between going in or not. Should he go to her? But he wasn't the one that she wanted...

Turning his back, Ares dematerialised – his head bowed in defeat.

                 Cerberus raised his three heads, sensing an intruder. But, realising that it was Ares, the guardian of the underworld settled back down to rest. Ares walked briskly, loose stones skittering across the ashy floor as he disturbed them. The fierce glow of the river Styx illuminated his face as he approached the bank.

Ares scanned the river, looking for the boat and its ferryman. But the river was undisturbed.

"Nephew?" Hades' dry voice rasped from the shadows.

"I'm looking for a mortal." Ares turned and faced Hades, holding his uncle's gaze. "Has he crossed the river yet?"

"You mean the Mad Dog?" A soft voice asked. Ares' head snapped around, surprised to see Eros. The love god was dressed in a black robe with cobweb lacing. It was a style favoured by the immortals that resided in the Undead Palace.

"You've been staying in Hecate's court?" Ares asked, surprised. The goddess of witchcraft was feared by all creatures.

"I've been looking for answers."

Eros came to a stop at Ares' side. "The mad dog has already crossed over. I watched his passage."

Ares sighed. He'd hoped to be able to get a final message from the mortal, some words that might comfort Sage.

"Why did you come?" Hades asked, frowning.

"Sage is... hurting."

Eros' expression was regretful. The tangled knot of lovers was complicated to unpick, even for him. 

"The Mad Dog's love for Sage was real. Maybe in their next lives – they'll be together..." He mused.

"No." Ares cut in sharply. "If Sage reincarnates after death, I'll find her and she'll be with me. And if she doesn't, and she remains in the underworld – I'll stay here with her." Ares' voice was resolute, but Hades shook his head.

"It might not work like that." Hades reminded his nephew gravely. "Fate connects you with her in this life time. But once her life's thread is cut – you'll never find her soul again unless it's destined. If the fates give Ezekiel and Sage a life together – you could be standing next to them on earth in their new bodies and you'd never even know it."

The war god's face darkened.

"Sage is mine."

Hades was about to say more when Eros stopped him – placing a hand on Hades' skeletal shoulder. He shook his head. 

Scowling, the war god left them - vanishing as quickly as he'd arrived - and Eros sighed sadly.

"The heart cannot be reasoned with."

Hade's ancient gaze was sad as it lingered on the river's rippled surface.

"Everything comes to an end with time." He murmured hoarsely. "Even a love story."

**

                              Poseidon stared down at Ezekiel's body with a manic gleam in his eyes. His lips twitched – his face seeming torn between tears and laughter. Resolute, he cracked his neck and fingers, readying himself for the task that his feverish mind had settled on. 

Ezekiel had died, but the need to be with him always  had remained. The sea god stroked Ezekiel's rigid face.

Preserving a body – the Egyptians had done it for years. Surely it wasn't so hard.

                          Midway through the operation, Poseidon was muttering every curse word in every ancient language he knew. Blood and gore caked the sea gods face but, with a bottle of wine to sustain him, he persevered. He put his lips to the bottle and drank deeply, determined to forget all of this nightmare.

                            Panting for breath hours later, Poseidon crouched down so that he was eye level with the canopic jars that he'd roughly filled. He carefully studied their contents and, without taking his eyes from the jars, he reached for his bottle of wine. Only to be disappointed that it was empty. 

Staggering drunkenly, Poseidon got to his feet – slipping in the bloody mess on the floor and having to catch himself on the operating table.

"Poseidon?" Zahira's voice was hesitant and she knocked on the door. Poseidon made a strange sound that only increased Zahira's concern. She popped her head around the door and had to cover her mouth. "The fuck..."

Gritting her teeth, she marched forward and slapped Poseidon across the face. "Snap out of it!"

"Careful, mortal." He rumbled threateningly.

"If you were going kill me, you'd have done it already." Zahira's gaze flickered to Ezekiel's remains before returning to the sea god. "You need  to snap out of this." There was a desperate edge to her voice. Poseidon looked down at the floor. Bloody tissue of some kind had leaked out and smattered across the tiles. Poseidon swayed.

"My hands are clean in this. It's the demon's fault."

"Poseidon, your hands are covered in blood and... other fluids..." The urge to vomit made Zahira cover her mouth.

She looked up at the sea god and was shocked to see a tear rolling down his face. Poseidon was crying. "You need help." She murmured gently. Poseidon shook his head.

"There is no cure for obsession."

"There must be. And until then," she handed him a thermos. "Drink this. Jaz said it should dull the curses effects, for a little while at least."

Poseidon drank the tea and pulled a face.

"He couldn't make wine?" He grumbled.

"Let's get out here." Zahira urged but Poseidon shook his head.

"I want to stay with him." The sea god looked back at Ezekiel's remains. "I just need to look at him – a little longer."

Zahira sighed but relented. With heavy steps, she left the room. Leaving the sea god alone with the object of his obsession.

**

                                Sage was sat very still – just staring blankly at the bedroom wall. She couldn't sleep. She couldn't get the image of Ezekiel – laying in the street and covered in blood – out of her head.

Ares materialised at the end of her bed.

"Sage?" His voice shook as he said her name. Sage didn't seem to hear him. It was like he was looking at her body, but she wasn't there. Ares' heart shook. "I'll never let you go through anything like this again." He promised fervently. "I'll protect everyone you care about. I'll keep them and you, safe and happy – I swear it."

Finally, Sage looked up at him. Without saying a word – she reached out for him. Ares took her hand and kissed her palm. Settling down on the bed, he cradled in his arms – his warmth heating her icy skin.