59. My Lover's Enemy

The giant roared and Sage ducked her head down as broken pieces from Hephaestus' droids showered over them. Through a gap in Hephaestus' defences, Sage was able once more to see the giant. Her heart thudded in her chest.

"Ares bonded me to his sword." She gabbled, remembering suddenly.

"He what?"

"In case I was in danger."

Hephaestus slipped slightly and Sage felt her insides lurch as they nearly fell.

"Summon it then!"

"I'm trying!" Sage screamed as another roar made her hair fly about her. Gritting her teeth, she shifted slightly and wrapped her legs around Hephaestus' chest – manoeuvring so that rather than being on his shoulder – she was facing him.

"What are you doing?"

"I'm trying to summon it!"

She clung on tightly to Hephaestus with her thighs, leaning close against him until she dared to let go with one hand. Right hand free, she flexed her fingers. Ares had said that the sword would come to her at a time of danger. Sage slipped but Hephaestus caught her, his hand on her bum keeping her in place.

Sage gasped, in shock, as the sword materialised in the grip. Shocked, she nearly dropped it. "It worked!"

The swords glow shone in the lift shaft. Hephaestus felt the power of the sword and shivered. This sword could end the life of immortals. It was the blade that Ares had used to behead Aphrodite... 

Hephaestus grabbed Sage's wrist and, with his direction and power behind her, Sage thrust the sword through the shaft opening and into the giant's eye.

**

                   Sage opened her eyes. Her head was spinning and it took her a moment to remember what had happened. She sat up suddenly, expecting to hear the giant. But only silence. Looking up, she saw the awful stretch of the elevator shaft above her. 

How had she survived falling to the bottom?

Looking down, she saw who had protected her. Hephaestus was lying on his back. She looked at his face and gasped. Hephaestus was bruised and covered in cuts. 

When the blinded giant had lashed out at them, it had crushed the walls of the open shaft. Her last memory was off the walls closing in, on the brink of crushing her. Sage released a trembling breath. Hephaestus must have caged her protectively in his arms - as steel and brick had been pulverised against him.  Sage's eyes filled with grateful tears. She was unscathed, because of him.

"Farrer?" She asked, shaking his arm. The suspense made her whimper but, finally, Hephaestus groaned and opened his eyes. Dust was slowly settling around them. Hephaestus looked at her, and sighed in relief. Beside them, the god-killing sword dematerialised once more – no longer required. Hephaestus glared at where the sword had been.

"I should send you back. My brother will be worried about you." He muttered bitterly.

"You look like shit. Are you sure you're able to send me back?"

"Huh? Yeah. Just let me rest a little bit."

Sage nodded. She sat back in the small space, looking a little awkward.

"So, I suppose I can check seeing a giant off my bucket list..."

Hephaestus grinned, and then winced because grinning hurt him.

"Me too."

"Did we kill it?"

Hephaestus shook his head.

"Even my father couldn't kill them. He was only able to trap them in Tartarus."

"How did it escape?"

"Didn't the war god tell you? Lots of monsters have escaped."

Sage frowned.

"No," she murmured. "No, he didn't tell me." She thought about all of the time Ares spent away from her and her frown deepened. Was he off fighting monsters? Anxiety clawed at her stomach. The idea of Ares fighting against a giant made her want to be sick.

**

                   Jaz crossed his arms, glaring as he watched Eros chat and laugh with the others. Ana was blushing, flattered by something Eros had said to her whilst Eros and Markus were stood – shoulder to shoulder doing the washing up.

"Jaz, what madness is going on in that brain of yours?" Cesar asked, seeing his boss' expression.

"Slimy git..." Jaz muttered under his breath. Cesar clapped Jaz on the shoulder, grinning broadly.

"I think he's a great addition to the team." He observed teasingly. Jaz's gaze narrowed.

"Remember that it's me that pays your wages, Cesar."

"But totally, he's a slimy git." Cesar amended, without skipping a beat.

"Seriously, though." Piped up Ana. "Where is Sage?"

Jaz's expression changed when he realised it had been hours since he'd last seen her.

                          Sage staggered, struggling with her balance, but Hephaestus put a hand on her elbow to steady her. Hephaestus' gaze went to the café.

"Your friends will be worried about you." He commented gruffly.

"Yeah..." Sage bit her lip, unsure what else to say. It was strange, to see the place looking so normal - with the shutters down and a closed sign in the window. Just like any day at this time. 

"I'll be back soon."

"Farrer you can't-"

"I'll make you something, so that the giant can't summon you through the protective wards again."

Sage looked down at her feet.

"Oh..."

A breeze ruffled her hair and she looked up to see that the smithing god was gone. Sage swung her arms uncomfortably, realising that she hadn't thanked him. 

She saw movement up ahead and Electra flew into view and circled her – clearly having been worried. Guilt gnawed away at Sage.

She knew that Ares needed her to despise Hephaestus. She also knew that keeping secrets from Ares wasn't healthy for their relationship.

But Hephaestus had killed Ares' family.

How could she tell Ares that Hephaestus had saved her life? That he was kind to her and Electra? And that he looked like he was also suffering?

"Sage!" Jaz called, spotting her from the café entrance. Sage waved at him, still unsure what she was going to say. "Sage, where have you been, you-" Jaz cut off suddenly as Sage approached and he saw the state of her. "What the hell happened?!"

"Jaz, does Ares know that I've been missing?" She asked in a low voice. Jaz shook his head. Sage breathed a sigh of relief. "I don't think we should tell him."