15. Hephaestus' Garage

Sage phoned the Mad Dog's number. The beeping sound of a failed connection made her heart clench. Without feeling much hope, she checked online for any news. But the gangster was still reported as 'missing'.

Missing...

It had been over three weeks since the fall of the gang. How was their still no new information?

Sage slipped out of the café early in the morning, whilst Jaz was still sleeping. The morning air was bitter and frost glistened on the tarmac. She zipped up her jacket and walked at a quick pace. When she reached the corner, she looked briefly back over her shoulder at the café - checking that the lights were still off upstairs. Satisfied, Sage ducked her head down and quickened her steps.

The number of homeless had swelled this winter. Sage passed more than a dozen sleeping rough – their sleeping bags nestled for shelter against the tall tower blocks. Rubbish was heaped in the gutters and strays scattered at the sound of her approach – their faces dirty from pawing through the trash. It didn't take Sage long  to reach Farrer's foreboding garage. 

The metal of the door was dented from something smashing into it from the inside. She frowned, unnerved by the warped iron.

"Farrer?" She called out, banging her fist against the garage door. She waited, listening intently. The groan of metal followed as Hephaestus raised the garage door.

"Does anyone know you're here?" He asked gruffly, as a way of greeting.

"No. No one. I snuck out." She stooped low and stepped inside.

The garage door screeched as Hephaestus pulled it securely shut behind her. Sage unzipped her jacket and made space for Electra to come out from her hiding space. The little nymph flew excitedly around Hephaestus' head.

"Go on, Electra. Show Farrer what you've been practicing." Sage encouraged. Electra flexed her wings, blocking her glow to create a strobe lighting effect.

Sage grinned, watching Electra as the little nymph danced around the workshop. Hephaestus watched Sage, observing her reaction. Her excitement was tangible. Hephaestus frowned. He could crush Sage's head with one hand. It would be nothing to him. But it also struck him that it would be unsatisfying...

"Are you creating more electric nymphs?" Sage asked. "I'd hate for Electra to be the only one of her kind. It would be too lonely."

Hephaestus' brooding face darkened.

"It's better to be alone." He mused gruffly. Sage smiled and shook her head.

"You don't really think that."

"I don't?"

"If you did, you wouldn't create things. You'd destroy them."

Hephaestus seemed taken aback. 

A sudden bright light in the ceiling made Sage flinch and she backed up as a droid presented itself as a hologram in the middle of the garage. The droid spoke in a language that Sage didn't understand.

"Do you only think in terms of missions?" Hephaestus responded to what the droid had said, sounding irritated. "I asked for you to return two nights ago. You need repairing."

"My functions are still operational." The droid replied in a monotone voice – switching language to match Hephaestus.

"Hang that! I'm fixing you in my shop. Come back to me."