76. The New King

Zahira took a deep breath, trying to calm her nerves. Her robes of shimmering pearl-white matched the robes worn by the immortals around her. She touched her hair self-consciously, checking that her circlet hadn't slipped. The pressure of eyes on her was making her fidget, but she knew that what they were really looking at was her stomach.

Music started, a sweet melody that made Zahira's breath catch. She stared up at the fish swimming beyond the invisible barrier. The candle flames around her, made the scales of the fish swimming by, shimmer and glow. It was a beautiful sight. It was also terrifying. Craning her neck, she looked up at the vast ocean and tried to imagine what would happen if the barrier broke. The immortals around her might be ok, perhaps they didn't need to breathe. But she'd drown. Her hand went protectively on her middle. 

 The Under Sea palace was packed and the sea court's nymphs, fauns and sea monsters moved in perfect choreography, showing off the splendour of Poseidon's court to the gathered immortals. The guards parted in unison, creating a pathway leading to the alter – where the immense throne of Olympus shone magnificently.

A ripple pulsed through the crowd and Zahira moved discreetly onto her tiptoes, wanting to see Poseidon's entrance. The sea god, standing proud and strong, drove a chariot pulled by magnificent snow-white stallions. The horses lifted their heads, shaking out their soft manes and as the colossal creatures neared her, Zahira felt the ground tremble.

Poseidon yanked the reigns sharply and the beasts halted, their powerful hooves churning the ground. The sea god dismounted with elegance, his cape billowing out behind him. Everyone, including Zahira, bowed down to him and Poseidon strode with supreme confidence down the aisle. Triumphant music bellowed throughout the large halls – heralding this new beginning and the start of Poseidon's reign.

Zahira lifted her head slightly, her head ornament tinkling from the movement, and cast a glance up at her immortal husband. He was the new king of the gods, revered by all. She looked at his proud face and at his slightly, sneering smile and wondered privately, if he deserved this honour at all...

**

"...Sources tell us that the God of War has been banished, not only from Olympus but also from his uncle's realms under the sea..."

"...Our viewers want to know, just how significant is this power change for humanity?"

"Well Scott, as you know, relations between humans and Poseidon have been very tense. The Sea God has been attacking shipping vessels and their crew. This has led to famines across many parts of the world..."

"...Indeed, many are looking to other immortals to defend us against the sea god's tyranny. High up in the popularity polls is Orion, the Star immortal. Other gods with followings of mortals include Eros, the god of desire..."

               The news blared on as experts continued to debate the change of king. Sage's eyes were glued to the screen and she'd been wiping the same spot on the table for several minutes.

It had really happened; Ares had lost his throne.

Because of her.

          "But I don't get it." Cesar whispered to Jaz. "Why doesn't he just tell everyone that he was under a spell? And that he didn't really forgive Hephaestus."