Chapter 10: Memory

━━━━━━━━━▲━━━━━━━━━

|| What are mortals to gods? ||

━━━━━━━━━▼━━━━━━━━━

"Everything go well?" Smith asked as you exited the containment chamber.

"You could literally hear everything that was going on. But yeah, it went well." You gently massaged your head. "Where are we going next?"

"079 is next on the checklist."

"You've got a whole checklist for who I have to talk to?"

"It's more for convenience than anything else."

"Figured."

The doctor guided you out of the containment area, waving goodbye at their coworkers along the way. They brought you to the elevator where they then pressed the button. The elevator door opened up and the two of you entered. You leaned against the wall. You didn't know why they were making you see 079 when considering his limited memory storage, you doubted 079 would remember his encounter with you.

The door opened up and the two of you stepped out.

"I don't get why we're going to 079," you commented. "With how long it's been, I doubt he kept what happened in his memory."

"That may be true but the O5 council wishes to have it interviewed."

"But you couldn't do it earlier? Sounds like poor planning to me."

"Well..." their words trailed off. "Everyone in Site-19 has been dealing with the aftermath of the containment breach."

"Because 682 also broke containment, right?"

The doctor jolted at your words. They paused in their step and you walked into their back, not anticipating them stopping. Your face scrunched up before you took a step back. "Why'd you stop?"

"You... didn't meet 682 during the breach, correct?" they asked.

"Mhm. Though I bet if things got too bad and MTF couldn't subdue 682, you guys would've set off the alpha warhead."

"Wait, hold on, slow down. How do you know of 682 and the fact that it escaped?"

You guffawed. That's what they were worried about? Your knowledge of the SCP universe wasn't perfect, no one's was, but you certainly had enough to know the common anomalies. You would admit you hadn't been the most forthcoming about your knowledge but were they really only getting suspicious now?

"I don't have to meet someone to know about them," you answered. Then, you added, "I'm not omnipotent if that's what you're worried about. I'm no 343."

The doctor stared at you. A lot of people seemed to have been doing that lately.

"The God?" they muttered.

"343? God?" You raised an eyebrow. "Maybe. Whether he's the creator of the universe or not, it means little to me. What are mortals to gods? And what are gods, even false ones, to nonbelievers?"

They sighed. "I'm going to have to add this to your file and report to O5 again."

"Sounds like a you problem," you cheerily said. "Anyways, we should get going, no? Places to go, people to see, things to do."

"Yes, right."

With that, the doctor began to guide you through the facility again. The trip to 079 was clearly not to his containment chamber which you figured out rather quickly. It seemed they were going to move him to an interview room for this. You imagined that they were going to connect a microphone or speaker to him for this as well. It would be easier than typing everything out.