Chapter 17: Between Immortals

1 suggestive joke

------

━━━━━━━━━▲━━━━━━━━━

|| Did it feel like immortality? ||

━━━━━━━━━▼━━━━━━━━━

Well, it could be worse.

Actually, no, it couldn't. This was Jack Bright you were talking about, you know, only one of the most important people in the foundation. Another infamous example of how eccentric the senior staff could be with the addition of immortality to boot. This was fine, perfectly fine, no problems here at all.

You loved lying to yourself.

"You've been looking for me?" you echoed hollowly.

He scowled at you. "Do you have any idea how hard it was to actually get to you? And the one time I'm not even looking for you, you're here!"

"I didn't even know you were looking for me? Like, I haven't heard about this at all."

It was possible that it was simply something that hadn't crossed your eavesdropping. Most of the lower researchers didn't really gossip about the senior staff unless it was complaining about the paperwork from property damage. You figured you would have heard something about this, at the very least.

"Seriously? I've been wanting to see you since you went by 079 to chat."

"That long ago?" You blinked, you hadn't seen hair or hide of Bright since the containment breach when you avoided his body. He wasn't here to talk about that, was he? "That was weeks ago."

"Closer to a month and a half by now."

You shrugged. "Time is an illusion. Why are you looking for me anyways?"

"Right." Bright grinned. "Let's chat, shall we?"

"In here?" You gestured to the flickering light above the two of you. The storage room was a very awkward place to talk in.

"What? No. We're taking a walk. Unless you want to continue talking here." He wiggled his eyebrows suggestively.

You stifled a small chuckle and shook your head. "I'm good. Let's take a walk."

He gave an exaggerated sigh of disappointment. "Alright, then."

You tilted your head towards the door. "After you."

Bright looked left and right before exiting the room. You followed after him. You seemed to be doing that a lot recently, trailing after other people. Not that it was bad, it just reminded you of how little control you had over your life at the moment. Everything was at the hands of whatever the foundation wanted or fate.

Fate... What a bitter concept to swallow.

"So, tell me about yourself," Bright began.

"What is this, an interview?" you said dryly. "Shouldn't you have heard enough about me from other people?"

"I haven't heard anything from you though."

You hummed. "I guess."

It was different for you, you supposed. A significant portion of the people around you who you deemed as "important" were basically how you expected them to be from what you had read. Your views on them were tainted with preset expectations that were very often true. Fiction and reality had blurred for you long ago.