Chapter 10: Disguise

A/N: here's chapter 10. Enjoy, people.

You almost convinced me I mattered.

Arya:

The boys had taken the contents of the folder and spread them out, examining each one closely. Their expressions varied from disgust, horror and anger.

"Hi." I whispered, sitting cross-legged next to Wyatt.

"Arya..." Caleb looked at me. "Some of these threats are-" he swallowed and shook his head in disbelief. "How the hell did you survive with all that?"

I shrugged. "It scared me for the first few months. They'd always be in the same place at the same time. I'd constantly call Jacob to make sure he was okay. But after a while I just... got used to it, I guess." I smirked. "I even started leaving notes myself. It was like having my own murderous pen pal." I chuckled lightly. They didn't.

"Yeah but this is..." Blake trailed off, holding up the most gruesome letter.

I wrinkled my nose in disgust. "Yeah, I know. It's quite scary."

"Have you told your parents?" Blake asked.

I laughed loudly, clutching my stomach. I stopped after a few seconds. "Wait, you're serious?"

"Er... yeah?"

I raised my eyebrows. "Huh... interesting. Well, to answer your question, my parents suck. My Mum has always favoured my siblings over me. Like, to an extreme degree." I picked at the dead skin around my nails. "It got worse after Dad died."

A longing ache settled in my heart whenever I thought of Dad. He was the greatest father ever- and I know most kids say that. He understood me in a way my Mum never will. But when he... left, my whole world shattered. Marigold and Mum started hating me- to this date, I still don't know why.

Nick cleared his throat awkwardly and I snapped out of my depressing thoughts.

"Oh, uh, can I go to town, please?" I was gonna go anyway, regardless of what they said, but I decided to pretend to ask for permission first.

"Why?" Blake narrowed his eyes at me. I don't think he likes me very much. "How do we know you're not gonna bolt and run back to your family?"

I snorted in an un-ladylike fashion. "Boy, the only thing waiting back for me at home is an arranged marriage to a pervert. You guys are cool- haven't done anything that bad to me. Why in the pink unicorns would I want to run away?"

"Maybe you're crazy?" I didn't even bother gracing that comment with an answer.

"But why do you have to go?" Isaac queried.

"I have to get something." Please don't question further. Please don't question further. Please don't-

"What do you have to get? We can get it if you-"

"NO!" I say a bit too quickly and loudly. "Um I mean, it's kinda personal, so I'd rather I get it myself."

"Let the girl go, Izzy." Wyatt muttered. "She's probably going crazy from being stuck with you idiots."

"HEY!" The boys shouted at once and I chuckled.

"But Skittle, what about these threats?" Kit gestured to them, his eyes swimming with worry.

"Don't worry about it." I shook my head. "I haven't received one in months- they've probably gotten bored and decided to drop it."

"Okay." Isaac relented. "But you'll have to disguise yourself- your face is plastered on missing posters and practically every news-station in the city."

"Ooh! I can help with that!" Caleb beamed. "I'm pretty good at disguises."

Nick chuckled. "Understatement. Last year, Isaac was given the dare to dress, act and look like a girl for the whole day. Caleb did the makeup and everything and damn... It was pretty convincing."

My jaw dropped and I looked at Isaac. "Seriously?"

He nodded grimly. "Yes. It was quite traumatic. My respect for women grew exponentially after realising what they go through." He shuddered. "I was hit on by creepy guys and many people made sexist comments about my clothes and it was just-" He shook his head sadly. "The world is messed up."

"Indeed." I agreed, standing up. "A lot of problems in the world would be solved if people talked to each other, instead of about each other."

"Come on Ree!" Caleb grinned. "You're gonna look fabulous!" 

End of chapter 10. 

I hope you guys liked it!

Stay safe and thanks for reading :)