Chapter 12: Brick

Dreams don't work unless you do

AN: just realised I completely forgot about Bratty's visit a few chapter ago... assume he went home please 😂

Issac:

"-I'm-"

The window next to Arya shattered and she screamed, curling in on her self and turning away from the large object that smashed its way through. Glass rained down upon her and I winced when I saw a shard slice harshly into her cheek. Me and the boys dived out of the way and took our guns out.

Arya swore violently and glared at the broken pane. She raised her fist and began hurling abuses at the attacker. "YOU F**KING ASSHOLE! I JUST REPAIRED THAT WINDOW! WHAT? DO YOU THINK THAT GLASS GROWS ON TREES? COME BACK HERE AND FACE ME IF YOU THINK
YOU'RE STRONG ENOUGH!"

"Bloody hell." Caleb muttered. "I say we let her loose on future attackers and let the problem sort itself out."

"Skittle? You... uh, you okay?" Chris asked cautiously.

Arya turned her heated gaze onto him. "DO I LOOK OKAY CHRISTOPHER?! SOME IDIOT JUST BROKE OUR WINDOW AND NOW I AM COVERED IN GLASS- ahh... that actually kinda hurts." She hissed, stepping on a shard.

"Did you at least see the license plate?" Ethan growled. To anyone else, it would've sounded as though he cared more about the attacker than his friend. But we knew he was boiling with rage inside and wanted to track down that attacker and brutally torture them.

"Didn't have one." Arya blew out a frustrated breath. Her brows furrowed as her gaze zeroed in on the brick. "Guys... there's a note attached to this." She pulled the white envelope off the block and tore the top open, sliding out a piece of paper. She scanned the words, her eyebrows travelling closer and closer to her forehead the more she read, a look that was between shock and amusement splayed out across her features.

"Well?" Ethan snapped impatiently, his index finger tapping incessantly against the trigger of his gun. I scooted away from him warily. Ethan has been known to randomly start shooting at things whenever he becomes particularly emotional.

"Read it yourself." Arya chuckled, shoving it to his chest.

We all peered over his shoulder and a silence descended upon the room as we read the unusually delivered message.

"I have never seen so many exclamation marks in one paragraph." I remarked drily, shattering the silence.

"I particularly like this part where they refer to me as a... what was it? Ah, yes, an 'ignorant buffoon who should've been kept in the zoo." Caleb snickered. "Wow this person really know a how to flatter a guy."

"Yeah I remember the remember the compliments from all those years back..." Arya muttered, picking at the dead skin on the side of her nails.

"What do you mean?" Ethan asked sharply. His finger was curled tightly around the trigger.

"Mmh?" She looked up and clicked her tongue against her teeth. "Oh right- the handwriting on the letter matches the one from my creepy stalker person from all those years back. Who, as Blake said, is probably the traitor in the business."

This time Ethan really did begin shooting up the place.

X

Half an hour, a broken vase, several torn pillows and a wall riddled with bullet holes later, we managed to barely calm Ethan down. His eyes were swirling pools of anger as he clutched the unicorn plushie to his chest, squeezing the life out of it.

I was pacing back and forth in the living room, theories tumbling through my brain- some of them logical, most of them downright stupid. Who could this traitor be?

"Izzy stop pacing!" Arya snapped. "You're making me tense." She was unusually active. Her fingers were drumming against the couch, then she would start pulling at a loose thread in her hoodie, then she would fiddle with her hair- tucking it behind her ear, putting it in a ponytail then letting it down again. Honestly, she was making me tense.

"Sorry." I mumbled, slowing to a stop. I had noticed that Arya had been stressed about something- especially over the last few days. Me and the boys had talked about it and we decided to try and alleviate that stress and wait for her to tell us.

"I just-" Arya screamed angrily through gritted teeth then buried her face in her hands.

"Greenie, can I talk to you for a second? In private?" Lucas asked suddenly, glaring at the brick like it'd mortally offended him.

"Sure." She sighed, as if resigning herself to some terrible fate. She limped towards the kitchen, wincing as she put pressure on the bandaged foot.

Now, I am a big believer in a person's right privacy. But I had a suspicion that Lucas knew why Arya has been behaving oddly lately and I was worried... and curious. I'm sure the deities will forgive me if I listen on this conversation, right?

I pressed my ear to the thick door and motioned for the boys to stay silent, straining my ears to catch a few words.

"-How long will you keep them in the dark?" Lucas growled angrily and I narrowed my eyes.

"I was going to tell them today!" Arya's hushed voice responded. "But then I nearly got knocked out by a brick and showered with glass in case you didn't notice!"

"What's stopping you from telling them now?"

"The timing isn't right! Like I said before, I nearly got knocked out with a brick!"

"For six years?" Lucas scoffed. "Actually no, longer than that! Thirteen years! I covered for you last time, Greenie. I won't do it again."

Hearing footsteps thundering towards the door, I hastily threw myself on the couch and tried to appear as nonchalant as possible. My mind was reeling, thousands of unanswered questions flooding my brain.

What was Lucas talking about?

End of chapter 12.

Qotc:

1. Who do you think the traitor is?

2. Think Arya will tell the boys?

3. What do you guys think of the story so far? Be honest 😂

I hope you guys liked it!

Stay safe and thanks for reading :)