Chapter 14: Siblings

I didn't see the cliff's edge

Arya:

(In case you guys have forgotten, Jess was mentioned the chapter titled 'Jacob'- she is Jacob's friend)

"Hey Ree!"

I looked up and smiled, placing the book in my bag as I stood up. "Hey Goldie! Hey Jakey!" I greeted, hugging my siblings. They pulled out two chairs and sat opposite me.

For a few minutes, we exchanged the basic pleasantries and caught up on each other's lives. Marigold had a date fixed for the wedding. Jacob's restaurants were still booming. He even planned on asking Caleb to merge businesses.

"So, Jakey." I sipped my tea. "Any girls in your life? Or boys?"

"It's girls." Jacob smiled. "And nope, no there isn't." However, as he said that, the tips of his ears turned red and blood rushed to his cheeks.

"Oh my goodness." Goldie placed her cappuccino down and turned to look at him. "He's blushing."

"Who is it?" I leaned forward conspiratorially. "A girl from work? Friend? Enemy? Is it... is it Jess?" When he turned redder, I knew I had my answer.

With a gleeful laugh, Marigold clapped her hands. "Yes! Jess is a wonderful girl! When can we meet her again?"

"Never- if I can help it." He said hastily. "Our relationship is new. I don't want you butting in."

I mock-gasped, placing a hand over my chest. "When have we ever butt in?"

"My first girlfriend. I was so excited when I brought her home to meet you guys! Celia was out doing God knows what and you both scared her away!"

I scoffed, flicking a lock of hair over my shoulder. "She was weak. Oh, Goldie, do you remember when he bought that rose for that girl when he was five?"

"Yes! He even wore a little suit and bow-tie!" Marigold laughed. "I still have the pictures!"

"Yes! Do you remember Daisy? And Rosey?"

"And Diana! Oh and Isobel!"

"Isobelllll!" We sang in sync as Jacob banged his head repeatedly on the table in front of him, his face the colour of a tomato.

"I hate you guys so much." He muttered.

"Aww," I reached over to ruffle his hair, "no, you love us!"

"Unfortunately." He groaned, dragging a hand down his face.

X

"NO I REFUSE TO!"

"YOUNG MAN! YOU WILL DO AS I SAY! I RAISED YOU!"

"I AM TWENTY YEARS OLD, I OWN A CHAIN OF SUCCESSFUL RESTAURANTS ACROSS THE GLOBE! I AM A BILLIONAIRE!"

"I DON'T CARE! YOU WILL EAT YOUR VEGGIES OR I WON'T MAKE THOSE COOKIES YOU LIKE!"

"YOU WOULDN'T!"

"Try. Me."

I calmly cut up my sausage roll that Jacob made. "So, Jake, how's Jess?" Believe it or not, these conversations were pretty normal in our household.

"URGH!" Jacob threw his hands in the hair and turned to face me. "Arya, isn't Marigold being unreasonable?"

"Jacob McKenzie, eat your vegetables or NO ICE CREAM 'TILL YOU'RE FIFTY!" Marigold screamed. "Arya, tell Jacob that he's being stubborn and that he should eat his vegetables! I mean come on, he should know they're good for him!"

"Arya, tell her she's-"

"Oh no, no, no, I'm not getting in the middle of your fights again!" I exclaimed, pushing my plate away from me. "That was basically my entire childhood!"

"He started it!"

"She started it!"

"Guyyss!" I nearly cried. "Please, don't drag me into this! Marigold, Jacob is not a little boy anymore! He can look after himself. And Jacob, don't be rude to Marigold. Ever since Dad died, Goldie has been looking after us. She is just looking out for you!" I stood up and crossed my arms. "Now, say sorry."

Both of them mumbled something and avoided each other's gaze.

"I can't hear you." I growled, my thin line of patience stretching past its breaking point.

"Sorry!" They huffed out. For a tense second, they swayed slightly and a heavy silence stifled the room. Finally, they shrugged and hugged each other. Goldie rubbed her knuckles against Jacob's head and kissed the side of his forehead.

Cherish these moments. I thought, stabbing at a piece of lettuce. I don't know how much time I have left.

Well. That was depressing.

End of chapter 14.

Sorry for such a short chapter! Next ones will be longer!

Qotc:

1. Thoughts on Jacob and Marigold?

2. What do you guys think of the story so far?

I hope you guys liked it!

Stay safe and thanks for reading :)