Chapter 2: Interview

I always belong to myself first.

Arya:

"FIRE! FIRE! FIRE!"

I jolted upright, my eyes scanning the room blearily as my brain computed the words that came from downstairs. I pulled the blankets away, the cool, frigid air hitting my bare legs. It was five am. and my beauty sleep has been interrupted. Someone is going to die.

I sprinted downstairs, still half-asleep, although the sight before me woke me up fast.

The boys were pressed up against the kitchen wall, a raging fire before them. Ethan had his head in his hands- probably still hungover- Caleb was trying to blow the flames out while Nick and Isaac batted it with paper.

How have these idiots survived for so long?

"ARYA! BACK AWAY FROM THE FIRE!" Nick screamed, coughing slightly as thick tendrils of smoke wove around the house.

"She's just a girl and she's on firee-" Caleb sang.

"NOT THE TIME MARTINEZ!" I shouted, grabbing the fire extinguisher in the cabinet that I keep for precisely these reasons. Pulling the pin, I sprayed the white foam, my anger rising as the fire slowly died out. Once I was done, I turned around, allowing my anger to bubble just above the surface. The boys looked petrified, inching away from me.

"Good morning Ree!" Caleb beamed, backtracking out of the room."Did you have a good night's sleep?"

"Take one step out of this room and I will castrate all of you." I growled. "Now someone want to tell me what the hell just happened?"

Isaac clicked his tongue against the roof of his mouth and winced. "Umm... not particularly." He said, carefully enunciating each word.

"They were being idiots, Ree." Ethan groaned, his eyes fluttering shut for a minute, clearly very hungover. Boo-hoo cry me a river.

"Oh I can see that." I gritted out. "But I asked what happened."

"Caleb wanted cereal." Nick blurted out.

Caleb stared at him in betrayal, hand over his heart. "We're twins Nick! Twins! We emerged from the same womb! How could you sell me out like that?"

"I'm sorry!" Nick whispered, casting a furtive glance at me. "But she's terrifying."

"Damn right I am." I hissed. "How does it go from Caleb wanting cereal, to the kitchen being burned down?!"

"Well, we were planning a little surprise breakfast, for you ya know, because you're such an amazing, kind person and we are your best friends slash non-biological brothers-" Kit stopped, seeing that flattery would get him nowhere. He cleared his throat. "ANYways, we were making you some toast, eggs, cake and milk. But then Caleb got hungry since it was pretty early, so we made some cereal, which, naturally, lead to a cereal war. But then the eggs and toast burned and the smoke triggered the detector. We threw some water on it, only-" He broke off, averting his eyes from my steely gaze.

"Only what?" I glared, sweeping my eyes across the five boys, all of whom had suddenly become interested in their feet.

"Only the water turned out to be gasoline and the kitchen... blew up?"

I breathed out heavily, pinching the bridge of my nose. "What kind of idiot mistakes gasoline for water?! In fact, why do we even have gasoline in the KITCHEN-?!" I broke off and swallowed harshly, taking a deep breath to calm the raving monster clawing away inside. "It's a sweet gesture what you were trying to do, and I'm not saying it's your fault, but you guys should be more careful. You could've died!" My voice wavered at the end, and the boys looked at me guiltily.