Chapter 20: So what?

Dark secrets tear apart the soul

Arya:

It had been about a week since I got my voice back.

It was difficult at first, talking about what happened and trying hard to not flinch at every loud noise or hug.

Issac suggested that I go to a therapist, but I declined the offer. While I knew that therapy helps many people, I personally did not feel comfortable opening up to a stranger. It gave them too much power. Instead, I chose to slowly unburden myself by writing in a diary. The others didn't know I had it and I burned it the second I finished writing in it.

That lead to a very awkward conversation after the smoke set off the fire alarm.

Surprisingly, Sparklemuffin had really helped. When I felt down, he would gently nudge me and allow me to hug his furry neck. Issac finally caved and allowed Sparklemuffin to stay inside.

Today, we had made a plan to go to the beach. It would be our first outing in quite some time and the boys had managed to get a day off from their work. We'd invited Wyatt and Renée, but the former didn't pick up our calls and Rey was unable to get off her shift.

As I was haphazardly shoving an extra book in my bag, a knock on the door snapped me out of my thoughts.

"Cheekbones!" I greeted with a wide smile.

"Greenie!" He responded in the same tone, striding forward and giving me a quick embrace, "How you feeling?"

"Could be better, could be worse." I answered with a tight smile, "how's life treating you?"

"Alright... signed a deal with another company a few days ago."

"Hey!" I punched his arm lightly, "Way to go! That's like the fifth deal this week."

"Thanks." He chuckled bitterly, "Yeah we both know I didn't come here to tell you about my deal."

"A girl can hope." I sighed, flopping on my bed.

"Arya, you gotta tell the boys... I mean, after what you said about your last report-"

"I know." I said sharply, "Lucas, I know. Please don't- please don't make me repeat it."

He quietly sat next to me and took a deep breath. "How long?"

"Months at best. A few weeks at worst." I exhaled deeply. "I'll tell them soon."

"When? After they come home one day and find your body?" He growled. "That will destroy them."

I flinched. "Don't say that."

"I have to, Arya!" He exclaimed, then lowered his voice. "I wanted to tell them years ago... but you made me promise not to! Back then- back then we had a chance. Now..." Tears filled his eyes.

"Hey... Cheekbones..." I wrapped my arms around his neck. "It's okay-"

"No it's not." He sobbed, "You're dying Arya, and it kills me that I can't do anything about it."