Chapter 17: That Day

I walked away to save you

Third Person: (two years ago)

"Are you excited today?"

Chris looked up from his cereal at his mum and nodded, a faint smile playing on his lips. His gaze flitted briefly to the small white gift bag on the barstool next to him and the smile grew wider.

Carol gazed at her son from over her cup of coffee, her heart filled with happiness as she saw the pure joy on his face.

"Where are you guys gonna meet?" She asked.

"Probably down by the beach- where we first met." Chris winced slightly. "When she tried to drown me exactly thirteen years ago." He paused. "Can I show you the present I picked out for her?"

"Please do! I've been dying to see it."

Eagerly, Chris gently tipped out the contents of the bag. There was a book from Arya's favourite series that'd been quite recently released- signed by the author-, a necklace made out of black string and a blue gem, and a bracelet that he'd made from string that was her favourite colours- green, purple and black.

"Wow!" Carol breathed out, reaching over to ruffle Chris's hair. "This is amazing! I have taught you well, my child."

Chris grumbled and swatted his mother's hand away, but he was secretly pleased at her praise.

"Now go!" Carol shooed him away. "Otherwise you'll be late!"

"Thanks Mum!" Chris kissed his mother's cheek and sprinted out the door.

A few seconds later, he came back, face bright red.

"You forgot the present, didn't you?" Carol smirked knowingly as he huffed and picked it up, slamming the door shut on her laughter.

After a brisk walk, Chris arrived at the empty beach. Grey clouds had gathered in the sky and the waves crashed against each other harshly. Chris waited patiently for a few minutes.

A few minutes became a half hour...

Then an hour...

Then two...

Finally, three hours had passed and Chris was starting to get worried. And very cold. Just when he was about to give up, he spotted a figure battling against the wind in the distance.

A wide smile lifted his lips- and spirits- as he sprinted down the length of the beach.

"HEY SKITTLE!" He shouted to be heard over the cacophony of waves and wind. "WHAT KEPT YOU? I'VE BEEN WAITING HERE FOR-"

Arya shook her head and looked away from him, muttering something he couldn't hear. Chris stepped closer and saw unshed tears brimmed in her eyes.

"Skittle?" He asked quietly, gripping her shoulders with both his hands. "What's wrong? Are you okay?" When he received no response, he lightly pressed the gift bag in her hand. "Here- I brought you a present for our meeting anniversary."

Arya pushed it back, swallowing down her emotions and forcing herself to look him in the eyes. "Christopher, we can't be friends anymore."

At first, he thought she was joking. Then, Chris saw the hard steel of determination in her eyes and knew she was being serious.

His good mood faltered and his smile dimmed as a block of cement seemed to settle in his stomach. "Wh-What?" It had to be a joke.

Right?

Arya clenched her jaw and pushed his hands off her. He let them fall to his sides; the gift bag dropped onto the sand.

"I said," Arya scowled, pushing forth her anger to hide her true emotions. "That we can't be friends anymore. Get over it and don't ever contact me again."

"But Skittle-" Chris started.

"DON'T CALL ME THAT!" Arya shouted as a storm above them began to brew. Lightening flashed and thunder snarled and the sea began to churn, spraying out foam on the duo.

"WHY?!" Chris screamed, anguish and heartbreak practically tearing at his soul. He couldn't understand. Why was she doing this? Was it something he said? Something he did?

Arya's heart shattered into a million pieces at his expression, but fought hard to stay calm. She wanted to do nothing more than hug him and tell him the truth. But she knew she had to do this.

"JUST LEAVE ME ALONE! YOU'RE PATHETIC!" She roared, turning around and walking away. With each step she took, she could feel their friendship breaking. As well as her heart.

Rain started to fall, obscuring Chris's vision as he watched Arya walk away. He blinked and tears streamed down his cheeks as the storm became more intense. He picked up the fallen gift and ran.

He didn't know where he was going and didn't care. Arya's words rang over and over in his head until that was the only thing he could hear.

Eventually, he reached home. He pressed the doorbell frantically, heart thudding wildly. When it opened, he hugged his mother tightly, finally allowing reality to sink in.

"Chris!" Carol exclaimed, clutching him tightly. "What's wrong? What happened with Arya?"

At her name, more tears welled in his eyes at her hurtful words. He didn't understand it. He didn't want to believe it.

After that incident, Chris never let himself get that close to anyone again- the only exceptions being Isaac, Caleb, Nick and Ethan, but even they weren't that close to him. His heart was completely broken.

But even after all that happened, he didn't hate Arya. He just... couldn't. No matter how many tears he cried because of her, or how many times he found his finger hovering above the 'call' button next to her name.

He should hate her, but maybe that's what love is. Not hating someone even when they've given every reason to do so.

End of chapter 17.

Qotc:

1. Do you feel bad for Chris?

2. Why do you think Arya broke their friendship?

3. Think Arya was being harsh?

I hope you guys liked it!

Stay safe and thanks for reading :)