26

You had indeed ordered bagels. So you sat on the couch in Katsuki's office nibbling on it like a rabbit enjoying the everything bagel. Katsuki definitely hadn't griped when you ordered him some sort of spicy bagel. You didn't remember what it was called or what it had in it but it said spicy so that was enough for you to order it.

"Your getting crumbs everywhere. Your not a fucking rabbit. Eat the damn thing like a normal person." You look up from your phone only to give him a look that said make me. He glared back, but heaved a sigh and look back at his work. This almost worried you. He had been quiet and almost resigned after the meeting. You'd wanted to ask but were afraid of what you'd learn.

Letting out a sigh you stand up from the couch leaving your bagel stranded on the table. "What's wrong?" You asked quick and simple, making your way to his desk. He looked up from his paper work again the look on his face unreadable.

"Just stupid work, I'm fine." You scrunched your eyebrows frustrated he wouldn't answer honestly.

"You know you were always a horrible bullshitter. What's wrong?" He let out a half groan half sigh while pressing his fingers to his temples.

"It's nothing you should worry about." It was your turn to groan. You flopped down in the chair across from him glaring daggers as he looked back down at his work. Does he not trust me? The jab of anger and jealousy felt like an arrow through your heart. You quickly shut out the feelings, not wanting to go down that road again.

"Please just talk to me kat." You grab his hand that was furiously writing on the papers in front of him. He tensed, staring down at your hand worry and guilt plaguing his features. Heaving a sigh he finally looks up at you, his eyes meeting yours.

"Im sorry, I know I should tell you these things, but I don't want to worry you." You sent him another glare.

"I worry more when you don't tell me. Yes it's hard knowing what's happening, but I hate when I don't know." He rested his forehead in the palm of his other hand.

"I know." He set down the pen he was holding and interlaced his fingers with yours. The warmth from his palm seemed to radiate from your hand throughout your body. A comfortable warm feeling. He lifted his head looking you in the eye. "It's nightmare." You had suspected that much. "More dead body's with evidence linked to him have been popping up all over the country, so many more than before." The whole country?! "We have no way of tracking him and tensions are high right now. The public expects us to make some miracle happen and catch him. That meeting earlier was pointless. We have nothing new, no leads no nothing." You could almost feel the anxiety and anger swarming off of him in waves.

"Wait the news only said there were new people in comas, not a rise in killing." You gripped his hand tighter instinctively holding onto that safe warm feeling.

"They don't know that. No one does, besides the police and only certain pro hero's that are involved, and you now." You shivered the gravity of the situation finally hitting you full force. So many people were dying. Yes he'd killed before but this, this seemed like a whole new level. He was getting cocky because he knew we had nothing.

"It's not all hopeless right? I mean we've been through worse before." You tried to meet his eyes but he wouldn't look directly at you.

"Before we had leads. We had some idea of where to go or where to start." Finally he met your eyes and his features softened at your worried expression. "We're fine though no matter what happens. Wether he wins or loses I won't let that bastard touch you or our friends." He pulled his hand from yours and you almost reached out and grabbed for his hand again feeling cold instantly.

He stood and began to make his way around the desk. He swiveled the chair you were in and leaned down in front of you hands braced on the arms of the chair. Without a word he leans in and plants a soft comforting kiss on your lips. You bring your hands up to cup his face melting into him so quickly and easily. His face was warm under your palms.

For a split second you thought of life without him. No not just alone on the streets as you had been before, but him truly gone. You shoved away the bleak thought, brushing your fingers along his face reminding yourself that he was right here. He was here and he was fine.

He pulled away resting his forehead on yours. His affectionate expression was replaced by worry again. He brought a hand up and brushed his thumb along your cheek. "Why are you crying?" You removed your hands from his face to feel your own realizing you had been crying.

You took a deep breath attempting to steady yourself. "I can't lose you kat. I know you say you'll protect everyone, but who will protect you? You can't do this on your own and you know that. But your stubborn enough that you'll try. And I can't face a reality without you in it." Even with all your will you couldn't stop the tears that slowly slid down your face.

"Im not going anywhere." His face was determined. "If it comes down to it I will win. If it only means that your safe." The tears came faster now fueled by a small flicker of anger.

"It's like your not listening to me. You can't do that. I won't let you do that. Even if you can win," You stand up from the chair forcing him backward a step or two. "You can't do this alone. Your stubborn ass needs to learn that at some point." Your hands clenched into fists as you tried to force the tears to stop.

Katsuki reached out and took your hands in his again resting his forehead on yours. "Ok." You let out a sigh as you shook with relief. "I know I'm not the strongest, I know I can do a lot but I can't do everything. So I'll listen, and I won't do this alone." His eyes were now determined. He pulled back but still held onto your hands. "We'll do it together. When you get your license I want you to start working here."