Chapter 30 - Bridges to Cross

The trees were swaying in cold wind and as the snow assaulted their every branch, they stood resilient. A struggle of power or maybe a playful fight between green and white, forming a majestic scenery. But Amelia paid no attention, her passion lost somewhere as her honey eyes remained unseeing and glazed.

Last night was playing in her mind like a film on loop. She couldn't understand why she did what she did. Ethan was not the person she wanted to be with then why the hell she agreed... No not agreed but went to him herself. That too, because of Ashley. Just because he was being... himself, the jerk that he was.

If he was being himself it didn't warrant her to go out of her way to get revenge on him. And what a revenge it was. Bullshit. Now she was girlfriend of someone she didn't want to be with. How was she going to pretend?

The biggest thing was her act was betrayal. Plain betrayal. Ethan would never forgive her after knowing her intentions and maybe others would start to hate her too. They would be justified too.

She was missing Dhruv today. He would've helped her. Listened to her and told her where she went wrong. An unbiased view. Maybe even give her a plan to right the wrong.

Amelia covered her face in her hands. Ava would kill her for sure, for being stupid of the year. She always told her she would regret her careless decisions some day and it seemed that day was sooner than later. Gosh, she was feeling so alone at the moment. All because of her damn stupidity.

"Finally decided to dump that Raichand?"

Amelia jerked her head so swiftly that she was glad she didn't get whiplash. Varun sat on the the chair beside her giving her sardonic smirk.

"Excuse me? Do I know you?" Amelia grounded with a sweet smile that was more poisonous than anything.

Varun only seemed amused by her acting and this only served to disturb her already disturbed emotions.

"I apologize for not introducing myself formally," Varun spoke smoothly. "Am Varun and have used so many surnames in my mortal life that it doesn't matter anymore."

A touch of ironic smile on his lips made her glare at him incredulously. Was that sick sort of humour or was his nature to play with people's minds?

Seeing the mirth in his dark eyes made her believe that it could be both things with this man, which in turn made her conscious of her own predicament. Didn't they promise not to be alone? Then why the hell did she venture out all alone in the unholy hour of early morning that too without informing anyone?

Straightening her spine, Amelia observed her surroundings cautiously. There was decidedly less number of customers in cafe and even fewer tourists around the hill due to the early hour and intense weather but otherwise she could say she was not alone. So maybe she could get out of here without another fight.

"I'm not on the schedule to kill today," Varun chuckled leaning back in his seat completely relaxed, his tone suggesting that he noticed her actions. Not that she cared. Her safety came first.

Amelia raised her brow and gave him a skeptical look that clearly conveyed her trust in his bloody words. Varun gave a wounded look.

"Give me some credit, am not psycho. There are witnesses." Varun whined, mocking a perfect pout that gave his face an innocent look when the darkness in his eyes was anything but that.

"Why are you here?" Amelia asked, fixing him with a cold stare. She was not going to be fooled by him.

"I thought it prudent to inform you we're not natural," Varun said so casually that it seemed like he was talking about weather.