Chapter 20 - Confusion and Surprises

Once a magnificent mansion, it was now macabre of broken bricks, charred walls, ever growing wilderness and homeless living beings. The fence around it finished with thorny bushes, whether to keep out the intruders from destroying it further or to protect them from dying in crumbling building, not known. A perfect horror venue in twilight.

The place reminded Ethan of past; lost in darkness and trying to come in light while struggling to gain what it want and yet failing. And now Ethan would bring light on this place because he needed help and this place could provide him exactly that, if things went well.

"Why little tigress? Why do you have to go and accept the proposal of that brat?" Ethan muttered staring the building. "Let's see if this place will change your decision."

A smile came on his face and just as he was about to turn, footsteps echoed in his ears. Moving around slightly, he found a shadow looking around. Stepping back, Ethan hid behind a bush and watched as shadow moved around searching for something apparently.

"Koi hai wahn(Is there someone?)" A voice floated in air and a worried man came in view of Ethan.

Ethan relaxed on noticing the uniform of man manifesting his job as a guard but a frown set on his face on wondering the reason behind one for such a destroyed building.

Getting out of hiding, Ethan approached the security guard.

"Excuse me, sir." Ethan called.

"Kon ho tm? Kya kr rhe ho yahn? (Who are you? What are you doing here?)" Guard questioned startled by his presence.

"I wanted to buy..." Ethan stopped when Guard stared him weirdly and Ethan realized the man did not know understand language.

Scratching his forehead, Ethan passed him a smile. "Mjhe ye ghr check krna hai. Khareedne k liye.(I want to check this house. For buying.)"

"Ap is madam se bat krain.(talk to this madam.)" Guard said handing him a card.

"Kya mai andar ja skta hun? Thori dair k liye?(can I go inside? For a little time?)"

"Agr madam ne anumati di to.(if only madam allowed.)"

Ethan stared the mansion with confusion. A guard for such building, didn't seem to balance the equation.

"Kya andar koi keemti sman hai? (Is there anything valuable inside?) " Ethan questioned.

"Sb kuch jala hua hai, Sahab. Pta nhy madam ne isse kyun khareeda. Kuch hai bhi nhy r mjhe raksha k liye khara kr diya.(everything is burnt. Don't know why madam bought it. There's nothing and still she made me stand here for protection.)" Guard whined.

"Kb se kam kr rhe ho tm yahn? (From when are you working here?)" Ethan was curious now.

"Bs ek hy din hua hai is manhoos jaga pr. (Just a day in this cursed place.)"

"Dhaneywad. (Thanks)" Ethan forced a smile and turned away confused.

The rectangular card held only a name in dark background.

Amaya Singhaniya.

Ethan turned around the card and found a small map showing directions to her office. There was no number on it.

Who is she?

A guard at Azaad mansion. Why?

_________

Sending the picture to her assistant, Ava stared the empty room with a feeling of longing. Things were going so smoothly for her but those anonymous cards and weird attacks had to ruin it all. Even attacks were bearable with her friends support but now things were going out of control. She was losing them just like the way she was losing control of herself and the situation, a problem that never occurred to her before.