Chapter 1 - The Fiancé

"This is your fiancé." This phrase from my Father greeted me before I could close the dark wooden door. I looked at his usually cold and menacing face that was hidden to show a slight smirk and warm eyes. On the couch sat a boy about my age who could be found placing down a teacup with purple floral patterns to match the curtains of the room. He promptly stood up and headed my way, I did the same. His warm beige hand stretched out to meet my brown one and he kissed the top of it.

"I am William Watson, son of Duke Watson, however you may call me William," he said sincerely as he looked up at me with warm eyes, although I already knew who he was.

"I am Elizabeth Vanidestine, daughter of Marquis Vanidestine, it is a pleasure to meet you. Since you are going to be my future husband you may refer to me however you like." I curtsied feeling Father's glare drill holes into my skin. Worry not, Father of mine, something as simple as a greeting is impossible to mess up.

"Well then, why don't the two of you head to the garden and get to know each other?" Father said and clasped his hands together in front of his face.

"Of course, Father, we shall be off then," I responded and curtsied to him as well.

"Talk to you soon," Lord William said as I opened the doors yet again.

In the hallway stood a maid with shoulder length black silk-like hair, her dark brown eyes stared at me as I opened the doors yet again.

"Anne, we will be going to the garden so prepare some tea and snacks for us," I ordered.

"Of course, my lady." She curtsied and then hurried down the hallway.

We sat down in a gazebo in the mansion's large and lush garden. The silence was interrupted by a heavy sigh.

"You don't mind if I speak informally with you, right?" Lord William asked.

"You already started," I responded with a slight smirk as I looked over to a white flower bed, "however I do not mind, do as you wish, you are of higher standing after all." I looked at him.

"Since we're going to spend a lifetime together from now on, let's get along well." He smiled at me warmly yet again. He resembles a beacon.

"Indeed. However I am wondering what would make you choose me, out of everyone, to be your marriage partner," I asked.

"It's a bit embarrassing to say out loud... but I fell in love with you at first sight," he said quietly as he looked down at his hands, his ears turned a rosy color.

"Really? However there are many more beautiful young ladies in Vera," I scoffed lightly.

"Not at all!" he exclaimed and looked at me sternly, "your beauty is unique and unmatched."

Well I suppose something out of the ordinary would intrigue some people.

"However you do know that most children of nobles are just political bargaining tools, right? It is my firm belief that marriages built solely on love do not last," I said firmly to which he looked at me with a hint of worry.

As Anne arrived with snacks we chatted away getting to know each other, I took notice of how Lord William had not touched his tea.

"Lord William, your tea is getting cold, is it not to your liking?" I asked and put down my cup filled with the golden liquid.

"Oh it's just... I'm not very good with bitter stuff," he mumbled.

"P-Pardon?" I tried to stifle my laughter which resulted in the rosy color returning to his ears.

"I know, hilarious, someone my age can't handle bitter stuff."

Perhaps it was the slight voice crack or the cute face that Lord William was making that forced the laughter, that I had long forgotten the sound of, to creep out.

"Stop laughing!" Once again his voice cracked however this time it was much more apparent and along it his entire face resembled an apple. I was surprised at how loud I could laugh and apparently so was Mother. As soon as I saw her in the corner of my eye I tensed up and stood up straight. Perhaps I was imagining it but it seemed as if her gaze made the flora around us dry up and the air get chilly.

"Elizabeth, I see you are entertaining our guest, however he seems displeased by your performance," Mother's cold voice said mockingly.