Chapter 12 - A New Face

"Are you okay?" Lord William asked and reached out his hand. As the lady accepted his help I could not help but feel a little hurt.
"Ah…" She stared deeply into Lord William's eyes, "yes, I'm okay!"
"I have not seen your face around, who might you be?" I spoke before I could even think and as we met eyes her body tensed. 
"I-I'm Florence Rosenkrantz, it is a pleasure to meet you," she curtsied clumsily.
Now I understand why you were worried, Father. It would seem a greeting is easy to mess up.
"Such an improper first greeting, you do know that it is the son of Duke Watson that just helped you up. I doubt you are of higher standing than Lord William so mind your manners," I spoke more ruthlessly than I had before, it seemed to be a surprise to Lady Henrietta as she stared at me intently.
"Oh- Lady Florence Rosenkrantz of Count Rosenkrantz deeply apologizes for offending Lord William!" She looked extremely flustered as she curtsied deeper.
"You-" As I opened my mouth to point out her addressing of Lord William I was quickly interrupted.
"Lady Eliza, that is enough." Lord William looked a tad bit upset. Of course, to him this must seem like me preying on the weak.
"I am only teaching the young lady proper etiquette," I retorted.
"Would you like to join us for a stroll around campus?" Lord William asked kindly as he ignored my remark.
"I would love to," she responded brilliantly.
"This is Lady Elizabeth Vanidestine, daughter of Marquis Vanidestine." Lord William pointed to me and Lady Rosenkrantz smiled slightly. I did not return it. "And this is Lady Henrietta Albert, my aunt."
"It is a pleasure to meet you." Lady Henrietta curtsied.

"I have not seen you at any banquets, Lady Rozenkrantz," Lord William pointed out.
"That's right, I haven't made my debut yet so do correct me if I do anything wrong. Oh and if you wouldn't mind could I ask you guys for help with school?"
"Of course, it would be our pleasure." Lord William responded.
"I can not say if I will be of any help, I will be quite busy myself," I said. I do not wish to be responsible for her.

Lord William and Lady Rosenkrantz were chatting away happily as Lady Henrietta and I walked behind them. I could feel a pit in my stomach as I watched them. I zoned in and out of the conversation and thought I heard Lord William promise to help her with school. A light tap on my shoulder brought my attention back.
"Lady Elizabeth, are you okay?" Lady Henrietta asked in a hushed voice.
"Not really, I feel strange," I responded.
"Oh, look! The garden looks beautiful!" Lady Rosenkrantz hummed cheerfully. 
"Shall we go take a look? We still have some time until we have to gather again," Lord William asked.

The smell of lavender surrounded me as I sat down on the bench. Why do I feel so uncomfortable? I took a deep breath to calm my nerves. Now I understand why Lady Henrietta insisted that I sit here, lavender is supposed to be calming. I closed my eyes, the idle chattering of people was carried on the gentle breeze.

The sound of footsteps approached me.
"Lady Elizabeth, how do you feel?" Lord William asked and sat next to me, "you look a bit pale."
"You're so caring to worry about how Lady Vanidestine is feeling, Lord William." She stood in front of us hiding her hands behind her back. The both of them smelt like roses. 
"Oh well, she's important to me after all." Lord William smiled gently.
"Here, I made you something to feel better. School must be stressing you out too, right?" She held out her hands and in them was a flower crown of roses.
"Thank you," I responded and put it on. "I will go take a stroll through the garden."
I tried my best to put on a smile as I hurried away.

When I was too far away to be seen I tossed the flower crown in one of the flower beds and continued to wander. The flower beds lost their splendor the longer I walked. I assume these are planted by the students. At last I stopped before a flowerbed of daffodils. Their color was dull and their crowns were no longer standing tall. The withering of flowers, a fair reminder of how everything changes with time.
"My, one might say they are losing their beauty," a familiar voice hummed.